Q&A I wish I had read when I was struggling with puppy blues

@ellimae He would cry, so I tried a few options.

One was locking him in the bathroom with me when I showered. That resulted in him being panicked about how much he hated baths and trying to protect me from them. So I’d have a little visitor poking his head through the curtains!

Second option was a high value toy put in the pen with him— usually a Kong filled with the peanut butter spray filler. That would keep him plenty occupied and excited, but I’d go check on him when I got out, offer some pets and praise, then leave him there while I got dressed and dried my hair. I’d also pass by the pen often so he knew I was there.

Mostly, I had to accept that he would cry, but he would also be okay if he did. It was part of learning independence for him, and teaching him to play on his own. Like I said, I did frequent checks, but I would try to leave him in there with toys so he would associate that as “his space” to chill.

@vf6cruiser Same thoughts!! I thought about rehoming my dog constantly for the first week. I loved him so much but was so anxious and overwhelmed I want eating or sleeping. I cried every day thinking I would never have a normal life and my boyfriend was going to hate me because I couldn’t go anywhere. It takes a little while but the puppy blues end and I hope everyone with the blues reads your post and feels better