[RIP] Sally, Doberman, 8-ish years old

freedom0777

This is a bit pre-emptive, but we just got the just the worst news from the vet, our wonderful dog has cancer on her spleen and liver. She is going downhill rapidly (losing weight, not eating, etc.) and is clearly in pain. We have gotten her pain meds and scheduled to have her euthanized on Friday. I feel completely broken, but am trying to keep it together for her last few days. Even though I know in my heart this is the right thing to do it doesn't help the pain I'm feeling. She has been there for my husband and I through multiple cross-country moves and every wonderful high and horrible low we've been through since we got her 6 years ago. She has such a pure soul and would light-up any room that she walked into. I know some people will say she is "just a dog," but I feel like I am losing a part of myself. This house is going to be so empty without my cuddle buddy, hiking partner, and all-around best friend.

Here are a few pictures:
Edit: Thank you all so much for your kind words! This has been incredibly difficult on my husband and I. My husband has been taking it very hard as Sally is the first dog he has ever owned. We did want to share that we will 100% be with her at the vet's for her final moments. She has loved us unconditionally and without any hesitation through the years, we feel as though it is the least we can do to show her some of that same love as she passes on.

Edit 2: My husband wanted me to let you all know how much he appreciates your kind words. He has really enjoyed reading about all the lovely things people have been saying about Sally. He has also found comfort in everyone sharing their stories about their wonderful dogs. We spent all day giving Sally every treat and all the cuddles and plan to continue until her appointment on Friday.

@freedom0777 She is so precious, and they are never "just dogs" dogs are such wonderful gifts to us, we could and should take lessons from them. I am sorry and know that feeling of loss. Cherish her memory, always.

@freedom0777 Oh she's so pretty, i'm sure she's very grateful you are making this decision for her and that you both are with her through this! Hang in there

@freedom0777 I can honestly say, I know exactly what you are going through. This happened to me a couple of months ago. I am really sorry this is happening to you. Know this, you are doing the very best thing you possibly can for her.

@freedom0777 Lost my Doberman to bone cancer two weeks ago too. It was very rapid as well and within a week he went from limping to a tennis ball sized knot on his leg. It’s crazy how fast it spreads. I know firsthand how you feel. I knew losing him was going to be tough as he was a special dog but at only 6 years old and extremely healthy otherwise, it just blew me away. I hope you find compassion in knowing our two amazing dobies are playing together now. It’ll be hard but time will heal the wound you have left in your heart. Much love.

@ihnoa We will both be there for her. We spoke to our vet since they usually have a strict 1 person per pet rule, but they said they would make an exception for us. She has given us so much love and always been there for us so I can't imagine not being there for her in her final moments. I definitely want her to know that she is so incredibly loved as she passes on.

@freedom0777 I am so glad! You will never regret being there.
I'm so sorry you have to go through that.

The night before I had to put my Yorkie down,
even though she was incontentinent, I covered my bed with plastic garbage bags and then newspapers. We stayed there all night, talking about how great she was. When they put her down the next day I was holding her. As hard as it was it was the best decision I have ever made.

@freedom0777 So your original post made my eyes a little wet. And now you have me sobbing. I can tell you both have a special relationship with her. ❤️ Make the most of the remaining days and my thoughts will be with you all on Friday.

Back