RIP Murphy 3-1-2015 - 1-21-2023 (Recent Osteosarcoma Post)

@chalk2 His eyes started grey then turned orange. He was the type of dog that got stopped everywhere for his good lucks and charm. Its not fair. He was perfect.

@brendabree I am so sorry for your loss. I am bonded at the hip to my babydog (“bash” - acd - red) and work from home and have since we got him. He and I are best friends and just reading your post made me bawl thinking about you and Murphy. Murphy was beautiful. In my experience losing a cattle dog isn’t like losing a dog or pet, they’re more human than most people (I grew up with a dog mom who adopts/rescues cattle dogs (and sometimes their bonded partners) and my parents fav child was our blue (magnet)).

Many hugs to you. Dm me if you wanna talk.

@everpraying3168 My belief is the smarter the dog the deeper the connection potential. This is due to their ability both understand and communicate. Once I move to our ranch full time I will get another ACD but for my next dog I am going to get the number 1 smartest, border collie. I want to test my theory. ACD are top 5 I think.

Thank you for all the support!

@brendabree Thank you for sharing this, Murphy was a lucky boy to have you and your family. My girl Leela recently passed from osteosarcoma as well, in her spine. I believe she was part ACD.

Love and healing to you and your family during this difficult time.

@brendabree We did. She lost the use of her back legs on Christmas Day, we took her in and found out the diagnostic through MRI. She passed on January 8. We had a vet come to our house and help her pass, after a particularly rough day and night. I’m glad she’s no longer in pain.

@brendabree Reading your story, I believe you absolutely did. We always said as soon as Leela let us know she was ready, we would let her go. There were just no options to give her any good quality of life, even with continuous pain relief. Sounds like your situation was similar. We do consider ourselves lucky we had the last couple weeks with her.

Back