[RIP] [Discussion] D. O. G., German Shep/Chow mix, 16 Years

wt15

A few hours ago, my mother and I just had to make the hardest decision of our life - we went from walking our two canines to having to choose to humanely euthanize our older of our pair.

Nearing the end of our walk, we noticed that he had a little blood on his back legs - and when we looked further, we realized a benign growth that he had around his bum, (that was previously okayed by a veterinarian as 'totally fine, and shouldn't bother his quality of life') had ruptured. After a quick call and quicker gathering in to our car, we made the ride out to the Vet.

Mid-way, the small patch of blood that was the original indication started to bleed profusely, and getting him to the vet, we watched as the blood would not staunch. They gave it to us hard - they couldn't stop the bleeding - he had ruptured the membrane around the growth, but not the growth itself, so he would bleed out. There was a high risk of getting him to a bigger, better vet 2 hours away, to risk sedation, then risk a surgery he likely would not live through.

We had a heart wrenching cry, and agreed - it was the end of the line for our old man, and with heavy hearts, accepted that it was easier for him.

He was the bestest dude, and except for a bit of arthritis, he was supposed to have a couple more years in him. This is the second dog we've lost in a year and two months, (in which we lost a 18 year old Golden due to old age.)

Now, what are we supposed to do to 'soften' the loss of our 1 year old boy, who was raised alongside him, and did everything at his side? The family didn't intend to get another dog after we lost our Golden, but he sort of tumbled in to our life, and we could live without his sunny, silly disposition. We had no choice but to rush him to the vet with us, and he knows something is wrong. He can't find his old man, spent the car ride home looking blue and without energy, and keeps pacing around the house.

I want to make it easy on my parents, so they can ease the young one in to life as a singular, until they feel that, emotionally, they can bring another family member in their life. Losing two dogs in just over a year has hurt my mom deeply, (but I know she's not a one dog kind of person.)

And assistance and replies would be appreciated.

I know he's not suffering anymore, and in a better place, but it's going to suck without his optimistic presence during my daily visits.

Lastly, here's a couple of pictures of him, for remembrance sake.

@wt15 I'm not sure how to suggest you comfort the young one, except to say that for him -- as well as for you all -- it will probably just take time.

Peace to you, and RIP good old man.

Back