[fluff] My little rescue dog came to cuddle with me for the first time today!

My little pup had been with me for about 5 weeks now, and he only really sleeps in his bed, his crate, and on his blankets. He seems to have really appreciated having a few dedicated spots where he can sleep and chill.

Sometimes on the weekend after our early morning walk I’ll sit with him (he’ll be in his bed) on the couch and have coffee and occasionally I’ll sleep a bit.

Today I was laying down and he crawled out of his bed to lay down next to me! We’ve been trying to teach him that he can explore the house and come up to us for attention, and i think he’s finally getting it!

(I forgot to pay taxes!! )

@troubledautisticsinner GOOD for you for being so patient and understanding of his needs. Can not tell you how many posts I read and even real life friends of people expecting their rescue to just bond to them immediately. "Help! We've had our 6 year old previously abused rescue for 5 days and he hasn't spooned me yet! Should I give him up?"

Stresses me out. You're doing it right.

@intermediary I'm getting my 3rd puppy in 30+ years at the end of June. Puppies also need time to adjust, and pushing them for affection is definitely doing it wrong.

Dogs will learn and grow to love you, and have confidence in you, if you are consistent and kind.

Good post.

@jeanbaptized Buying a puppy from a reputable breeder usually includes a wait list. Sometimes up to a year even. Good breeders don’t breed unless they have homes lined up so there usually is a bit more demand than supply.

@jeanbaptized That's a weird thing to say after asking why it takes so long to get a puppy. There usually aren't any puppies in shelters, or if there are, there's already a waiting list for them.

@jeanbaptized I am on your side here. That’s why I don’t get why you were getting downvoted about how important rescue is versus shopping. Don’t be so snappy on saying I can’t read when you clearly misunderstood!

@stuh During these times or really anytime fostering would have been the way to go till you fall in love and adopt. Till they all have a home. Please tell your breeder get a real job pay his own mortgage

@jeanbaptized Oh piss off, being a breeder is a real job. You and most of reddit are just biased af, there's plenty of excellent breeders out their who love their dogs.

My dog's breeder got him fully tested/vaccinated and knows his entire genetic history should I have any issues. I've literally called her at 9pm at night when he had an allergic reaction and she helped so much during that scare.

@imagebeastmarkbeast Lions and tigers and genetic history oh my. Excellent breeders yes, let's exploit innocent animals for letting nature take it's course. Hard indeed, the true heroes are adopters and volunteers. When she's too old to cover that note dropped off she will be AF

@jeanbaptized I'm sorry but the only dogs I've ever seen in shelters are pitbulls and bully breeds, which aren't allowed under home owners insurance. So maybe, blame the insurance companies rather than the owners who are just looking for a breed that's not restricted.

@chris457 If you want a particular breed just google. For example. my brother had to have a husky so a googled husky rescue and what do ya know. Poodle rescue.com .... Get it If it has fur unfortunately there are hundreds of rescue organizations for that breed

@jeanbaptized I have googled and the breed I’d like is not available at any rescue and any of the local rescues are just full of bully breeds. Not to mention that we have a very outgoing and friendly dog already and would need a new addition that’s able to mesh with her personality. Any rescue that has a history of abuse or is timid/aggressive is not going to work for us. And finding a breed that fits your lifestyle is SO IMPORTANT. Too many people “rescue” energetic dogs and can’t provide them adequate exercise and it’s sad!

@jeanbaptized Well, most breeders do have a real job since almost no reputable breeder makes money from their litters. It’s incredibly expensive to complete testing on mom and dad, trial them and then care for the litter and feed them, then test the litter.

Adopt don’t shop is a very sticky idea that has made many of us think that breeders are the devil. In reality, reputable breeders and shelters, rescues etc go hand in hand in animal welfare. But it must be reputable breeders. Far too many aren’t educated and buy from breeders who do exploit animals or are purely in it to make money.

For example, where should someone go if adopting a rescue is too risky of an option? Service dogs, those with severe allergies, homes with young children, those needing working dogs etc. Some people need to know what they are getting when it comes to bringing a dog home. I am a dog trainer, I co run a dog rescue, I’ve fostered 26 dogs and puppies, and I’ve adopted from a litter I raised. I am 100% buying from a reputable breeder for my next dog.

@jeanbaptized Being a responsible, reputable breeder is a real job. We recently got our purebred pup from a reputable breeder and she’s the most well-adjusted, healthiest, smartest puppy we’ve ever had. After spending years working on the emotional issues of the rescue dogs we adopted from shelters let me tell you it’s a real fucking pleasure to own such a wonderful little puppy that was responsibly bred and participated in an early enrichment program. I don’t want the shitty agressive reactive pit bull mixes that overflow our local shelters, you can keep em. I think you’re the one being completely unethical and an asshole for shaming people who are often inexperienced owners into adopting problematic dogs above anything else. Shelter dogs are not a cakewalk, this can’t be said enough.