[Fluff] Does your country have dog naming "rules"?

@moej USA here - A lot of dog breeders do alphabet litters (A litter, B litter, etc.). Some do theme litters, with all babies named according to a theme. I know some that do ABC AND theme within that!

Lots of cat breeders do the same. I bred and showed purebred cats for many years and my cats registered names were always Japanese (I bred JBT’s). Some breeds in cats would traditionally use the ABC litters (Birmans, etc.) I did not personally use ABC for my litters.

Not really relevant at all but naming of purebred horses is interesting as say for registration of Thoroughbred horses requires a totally unique name. The stud book does not allow for duplication of names. Many registered TB’s have some pretty odd names because of that lol. In Warmbloods, it is common to have the baby given a name that begins with the first letter of the sires name and are often referred to as “lines” K line, D line, etc. Similar for a lot of Arabian horse breeders as well, or so I have seen with friends active in the Arabian breed. My personal experience is with TB & Warmblood horses only so not very familiar with how common naming restrictions are in other horse breeds

@amyers9803 With some studs, you use the first letter and others do have letters per year. You’re right about crazy Jockey Club names. I presented my TB mare at a GOV inspection and the judge didn’t even try to pronounce her name.

@asatru Oh wow her reg name must be a crazy one lol. Some of the most bizarre horse names I have seen were TB’s; made me think their owners just gave up and went with something totally whack & random to get an approval from the Jockey Club lol

@moej Seriously?? That’s bizarre! Definitely not a thing in Canada 😹. I know other countries have restrictions for baby names though! A friend of mine named her baby Autumn (which is not common here but not a weird name) and her German coworkers were confused that she was allowed to use that name 😹. If I have a daughter I’m going to name her Dasha and we know a Dasha but she is Russian and her parents HAD to name her Darya and Dasha is just her nickname.

@moej We are in the Netherlands. Our dogs official name is Norah; all purebred nests born in 2020 are supposed to be called a name with an 'N'.

We called her Lotus, but in her passport and in her admin she is called Lotus Norah.

@moej In America, Beaucerons follow your French rules and use whatever letter they're on in France for the registered name (call name varies, but many people try to adhere to the letter too). I don't think any other French breeds do that, but I could be mistaken...

For the AKC it's pretty straightforward, 36 characters for the registered name (or you can pay extra and get 50 characters) and there's a few words banned from registered names (such as "champ" because it implies that the dog is a champion show dog). There's no rule that a kennel name has to be included but traditionally they do include the kennel name and typically litters are from a theme (letters used to be more popular, but in the past 10-15 years I've noticed themes are getting more popular than letters).

Since I have horse experience too.. traditionally horses get a mashup of the sire's name and the dam's name (or the dam's sire). For example, "War Embem"'s sire was "Our Emblem" and his dam was sired by a horse named "Lord at War". You also see some very influential sires get their names passed down for decades, usually in Quarter Horses. For example Zippo Pine Bar was born in the 1960s but you still see horses with "Zip" or "Zippo" in their name as an homage to Zippo Pine Bar. You also see "Doc" for Doc Bar, "Dun" for Hollywood Dun It, etc.