[Fluff] My 2nd Kishu Ken Litter Has Arrived!

@hisinlove Is it more common for dogs with first litters to be a little late (past expected delivery date)? I have heard that it is more common with humans.

Thank you for sharing the details, photos, and live can. I love vicariously being able to enjoy puppies.

Final question, what color is the dad? Will the sesame stay dark or will it lighten?

@needheaven This is only my second litter and my first arrived well before we thought it would. Maybe a more experienced breeder on the sub can jump in on the first question!

As far as the sire, he's sesame, but I think the pup out of this litter will end up darker than him, as an adult. I'm hoping he'll look a bit more like my Shikoku, color-wise, with how dark he is now.

@akilah Yep! It can be pretty difficult to tell for sure how they're going to turn out. The only reason I'm predicting he'll turn out more like the second agouti vs the first is because of what the dam's brother has produced when bred to another agouti-- and this pairing, genetically, should be similar (the same, except that the brother's pairing could produce Ay/aw and aw/aw, whereas this pairing can only produce aw/aw.)

But I do have to wait and see. If things go well, I'll have this particular pup til he's ~4-5 months, which will give me a better idea.

I've heard urajiro intensity and red intensity in the undercoat isn't done changing til around 2.5 (which held true in one of my sesame) for Kishu/Japanese dogs. I know my Malamute was fading out and changing til he was 4, though.

@hisinlove Plus summer and winter coats are different colors. I never appreciated the color until I got my GSD. Now I love it and love seeing how it is expressed in various breeds and coat types.

@needheaven It can be more about how many breeding and fertilization. My first litter from my bitch was 12 puppies. They had one tie. My second litter was frozen semin implanted. She had 5 puppies and never went into labor so we did a c-section. Puppies were overcooked by about a day or two. They all did fine, huge, fat, lazy puppies.

@hisinlove Don't know if this question is out of line, but since this a rare breed how much do these pups go for? They're so cute! Congratulations on preserving a breed!

@mmx I don't think it's out of line. I don't really understand why responsible breeders want to let cost lie in shadows... it's always been kind of bizarre to me, especially when less responsible breeders so happily tell their audience. It puts us at a disadvantage and sometimes, it cuts us out of being able to educate potential owners when they can't find a price range or know how much to expect a responsibly raised/bred puppy of their breed will go for.

However, before I answer it-- I want to make very clear that this is not an advertisement and the pups from this litter already have homes. None are for sale.

Kishu "in general" cost between 1500 and 3500 dollars. That's a huge window because it really depends on where you get your dog from and what you're looking for in a dog. One thing to note: price does not equal quality. Price usually indicates nothing more than a) the cost spent by the breeder to produce and rear the litter and/or b) the individual breeder's preferences.

More specifically, my Kishu generally cost on the lower end of that (1500-2000, depending on the pairing and what I put into producing the litter) estimate because of where I live and what my values are in living with my dogs, my priorities in placing dogs, and the resources I have available to me due to my profession. I want Kishu in homes and I want to keep them as affordable to people as possible and I'm willing to lose money to do it, if I have to, but I'd like to do my best to break even, so it's a strange dance I play with cost. Other breeders may not want to take the risk, which I can't say I blame them for - it's a lot of time and effort to responsibly raise a litter.

@mumin9952 Their names become their registered names. I pick out the registered names because I have to register them with NIPPO - the owners cannot do that, or I would leave it up to them. That and... a lot of people just pick out a name they think "sounds cool" or has characters they think mean certain things and the names end up sounding kind of... off... this way, at least if they sound ridiculous, it's me making me sound ridiculous and not someone else.

The owners can always pick out their UKC and AKC names, though-- I don't have any issue with that.

@hisinlove My breeder had all the pups pretty much named by the time they were assigned to each puppy buyer. It was her "E" litter so they all had E names. If you had been on her waitlist for a while, she took suggestions on E names for the pup you wanted. I didn't hop in on the litter until about 5-6 weeks so mine was already pretty much named. She asked if I had something else I preferred when I met the pups but said it was all but set in stone because she liked it so much. I know another puppy buyer asked for a different E name and she flat out said no, because she didn't like it. So not that out of the ordinary when you're registering dogs! Of course, puppy buyers were allowed to call them whatever they want.