Does anyone know if Alpo Variety Snaps Dog Treats have been discontinued??

kyl300

I’m asking because these are literally the ONLY dog treats that my very picky “diva” dog eats. I don’t know why but she never eats any Milk Bone brand products that I try to give her. She absolutely LOVES both of the varieties they offer for these treats and all of the different flavors included in each box, however now I’m REALLY struggling to find them ANYWHERE near me! 😭 I’m not even being given the option to choose to have them shipped to my house from locations that are much further away. And all of the places that I’ve previously purchased them from are all either completely out of stock/sold out OR OUTRAGEOUSLY OVERPRICED! And I REFUSE to pay like $30.00 for a box of treats that normally only costs me $3.50 a box. Any information, insight, or ideas are welcomed and greatly appreciated. 😕 Thank you all kindly in advance.

@cleanup77 I may be a part of that Facebook group. You may have seen my petition to try to bring them back. I also got a voicemail from Purina that told me that Alpo is a very old brand and soon the whole brand will be discontinued. So does that mean just because something is old, that you give up on it. I want to call this supervisor back and ask her if that’s how she thinks about her own dogs that you just throw them away or forget about them if they get old. Because that’s exactly what it sounded like to me when she said the brand was old. If you aren’t the guy or girl of that Facebook group, you can sign the petition here. And also write to Purina about the comments of one of their employees who verbally said that.

https://chng.it/dqwrdNzcd4

@dreezy signed. thanks for the link.

Bummed out about this. I'll have to keep lying to my 4 that I will get more soon. Hope the petition works.

@kyl300 I'm really sorry to have been the bearer of bad news. There was a post with conversation about possible alternatives so you are not alone in having a dog that preferred the Variety Snaps. I'm lucky my girl is happy with a few brands of treats. I hope you find something else that works for your pup.

@issylostneedtobefound Hopefully I can share a group outside this one and not get into trouble. In the Dog Food Nerds of Facebook group, just search for Variety snaps and it should come up. Some of the suggestions are using the tiny Milkbone or Mother Hubbard, Buddy Biscuits and the Wholesomes Cheezy Bites. I just need things that break easily because mine gains weight easily, thus she gets very small treats, but she is only 15 lbs, so there is that.

@cleanup77 We have the same issue with our oldest chihuahua girl, we break them into pieces so she doesn't gain weight. Right now her and her 2 boys are eating milk bones that I break into halves or thirds.. for her I put them in a baggie and crush with a hammer because of her weak teeth.

@mommybebrave My late tzu was almost 17, she loved the soft treats the last couple years. I have cut up the small Bil Jac treats and other soft treats for my tzu girl, but she loves crunchy treats. I may try crushing them for her so I can give her tiny treats, that's a great idea.

@issylostneedtobefound I think everyone is just going to have to try other ones on their own since everyone's pet has different tastes, like my dogs will eat milk bones even tho variety snaps were their favorite. I've seen other variety types online at PetSmart and Petco.

@cleanup77 thanks for that link. Love the picture someone put up of their 2 disappointed boxers. If that shot doesn't bring those treats back then I might boycott the company.

@mikek401 You're welcome! It's really sad they are shelving a treat that makes so many dogs happy! I'm currently struggling because my former puppy mill mama has decided to up her ante on high value treats for training on walks. When cheese no longer works, we have a problem.

@cleanup77 I still have a mostly empty bag of those next to all the other stuff I've been buying for mine. I think their 3 1/2 of those and crumbs. I guess I need to pass that out to my 4 before they go stale.

I've been getting Marrobone in the yellow bag. Mine like those. They are easy to break up for my 20 pound rat terrier. And my largest a 110 pound husky shepherd doesn't always swallow them whole. heh