What do doodle owners mean when they say to not look their doodle too poodle-y?

daniel001

I’ve had this told to me a few times and I’m never quite sure what it means. I just do what I would normally do. Are they talking about keeping the curls tight or something? Because that gets fluffed up when I blow dry and brush so there isn’t much I can do with that.

It’s just a confusing question to me, especially since their dog is half poodle.

@daniel001 I am autistic, which is relevant here because I interpret things very literally and require clear instruction. I get this request often with doodles and always ask for clarification because really, what do they mean by that?

By and far, I would say 90% of them don’t even know what they mean. When I ask, they look confused and just say “just not like a poodle, yknow?” To which I reply “I’m sorry, but I’m really not sure exactly what you mean. Your dog is part poodle, so because of their bone structure they’ll look at least a little like a poodle just in the way they’re built. There are 7 standard haircuts for poodles and they all have very different styles. What part of the poodle look are you trying to avoid?” and I usually just get … nothing.

I try to ask clarifying questions like “so I know you probably don’t want the shaved face and feet, do you like a topknot here? What do you like for the tail — we can keep it close and low maintenance or if you’d like we can leave some length.” but I just get the same “yeah, just don’t poodle them!”

We do doggy daycare also and we’ve found the easiest thing to do is recommend what we call the Toby cut. Toby is a daycare goldendoodle who is there almost every day and keeps a bit of length on the body and legs (I believe he gets a 4), some length on the tail (scissor the tail), and a teddy bear face. We make it clear that Toby’s cut is just a pet clip that his owner and us worked to come up with together and there is no standard name for it as it’s just a mixed breed haircut, and we explain he does keep a lot of poodle aspects like the long tail and ears and looks a lot fluffier and maybe poodle-esque when freshly groomed. And in return, we get “yeah that’s awesome! Do the Toby cut just don’t poodle my doodle!” 🤦🏻‍♀️

@jp175 That's hilarious! As a poodle owner that never had my poodle in classic shaved face/legs cut, I just came to the groomer with a bunch of printed-out pictures. Saves a headache for both of us.

@jp175 I’m also autistic (honestly seems to go along pretty well with grooming) and unless someone gives me to the letter instructions, I do whatever I think will look good. I’ve pretty much never had a complaint! Most people don’t know what they want.

I do have a good amount of super specific clients because I am good at following instructions - but if you’re not telling me what you want, I’ll ask what you want for length and then it’s ‘dealer’s choice’. Lol

@daniel001 For some it does seem to mean they don't want the fluffed up, straight, clean looking style. For others it seems to mean they don't want a short head or muzzle, even if it's just a tightened up muzzle and not even close to a clean face. For others it's just having a short groom altogether, a la the dreaded doodle shave down because we waited too long and didn't brush so now it must be a 7.

@daniel001 In my experience they don't want a "poodle" cut. Or they don't want clean face/feet, or they want their dog to come out of the salon looking like I did nothing to it's coat, meaning I wash, dry, and cut the dog and then spritz with water and some finishing spray and then scrunch it back up to look curly. Personally, I always ask "what do you mean by poodle"? Then you can figure it out from there. 99% of the time the dog is going to look like a shaved dog regardless because they don't brush, lol!

@daniel001 They don't know anything about grooming terms, and usually they mean they don't want anything fussy and not some sort of town and country cut. They just want a bath, brush and blow dry with attention to any problems areas. They don't think of it like people who work in the industry who understand that if their doodle looks like a poodle it's because of genetics.

Make yourself a check list of things to confirm when you hear this. Use a mix of closed and open ended questions.
  1. Do you want me to take any hair off, or just bathe and brush?
  2. Do you want me to leave the face?
  3. If a cut is expected, ask how short and where. Make sure to assess the curl of the fur and help the customer understand aesthetic choices. Some people don't realize if you cut a white dog short, the pink of the skin can come through which people really associate with poodles/mixes. Some people want to keep long feathery tails. There's a huge variety of coat types with doodles and any dog can be "doodlefied"
  4. This is also a really good time to suggest or inform customers of value enhanced services you offer, like dematting, nail grinding, or specific products (specialty shampoos, soft paws etc.)
You can also get some reference pictures of traditional poodle cuts to show people.

@daniel001 It means they don’t want their dog to look like a poodle even though they paid for a dog that is literally half poodle. They’re idiots to be honest 🤷🏻‍♀️

@daniel001 No idea. Often I find it means no shaved face, clean feet, or over the top style. When they say it all snarky and mean I point to my standard poodle and remind them that I’m a poodle person. I’ve weeded out most of my dumb doodle owners and have ones that either know what they want or get shaved down.

Back