6month old doodle got into my weed gummies vet bill 3500-4500

@jennifer1990 That’s how all insurance works otherwise companies wouldn’t stay in business. But for the vast majority of people, it’s much easier to afford a $35+ bill monthly than a $5k emergency bill. Ideally, you would never need to use your pet insurance but nobody knows what’s going to happen in the future. My parents had a perfectly healthy puppy who snapped her leg in a freak accident and it was almost $7k when all was said and done. Luckily they could cover it but most people wouldn’t be able to comfortably cover a bill like that (or be able to cover it at all). Hence, insurance.

@jennifer1990 While this is true overall, if you know you have accident prone animals, you might know more about the odds for your particular pets than the insurance company does! Also, if your pet gets injured right away, you don’t have to have saved up years of savings on not paying the premiums, you have the insurance to pay right away. Not saying this is the right answer for folks who gave plenty of savings, but most people don’t have thousands in savings to cover a big emergency.

@jennifer1990 I agree. It comes down to money on hand in my opinion. My dog had a $1.4k emergency and I considered it after but I have actuaries as siblings and as a partner and they both advised against it based on my income/savings. Nothing wrong with pet insurance, but if you can afford an emergency Bill it may not be cost effective.

@jennifer1990 While this may be true in the early years (assuming your pet is relatively healthy), I can personally confirm that your statement is not accurate for everyone. Over the course of 11.5 years, I have saved over $10,000 by having pet insurance and that savings will keep increasing exponentially as the golden years progress. Granted, my case may be more extreme because my cat has much higher vet bills now. To me, the fiscal value of insurance comes in when your pet has a serious chronic health issue that requires expensive and frequent therapy and long-term medications. Unfortunately, you have to pay into the policy when the pet is young and healthy, so it’s not usually a fiscal win during those years. But it’s the difference between life and death in the later years when you are dealing with a chronically sick pet.

@jjmaleyscw I have Pets Best. It was the most reasonable for two dogs and a cat. My older dog is too expensive to insure at this point. I have a higher deductible of $500 but 90% coverage after that. I basically wanted it for emergencies so I wouldn’t have to decide whether I could afford to save my pet. You have to get reimbursed but they reimbursed about 8.5k in a less than a month

@jjmaleyscw Very happy with pets best insurance! There are a few things they don’t cover for emergency like special food supplements and I think medication you give at home, but I’ve been happy with it so far. They process claims pretty quick and send payment in a reasonable amount of time. Nothing this serious but we’ve been to emergency vet with my pup a few times and I’m happy we have the insurance. Hope your pup feels better soon. Ps I paid almost 4K for my cat when he got a complete urinary blockage and blue pearl in queens New York sent him home sick. It was a horrible experience