6month old doodle got into my weed gummies vet bill 3500-4500

@jjmaleyscw I got it before getting our puppy and it's been a HUGE cost savings. She ate a bunch of rocks (God help me, lmao) and had some GI issues, and between multiple X-rays, other tests, and some meds it was like $2,500 out of pocket. Pet insurance reimbursed us within a week and we only had to pay about $500 when all was said and done

Edit: I have lemonade pet insurance, which is a Geico subsidiary, and also has renters and homeowners insurance so we've been able to save a lot by bundling homeowner/rental/vehicle/pet insurance

@douglastalks I have pet insurance too. Fortunately, I haven’t had to use it yet. But it is like auto insurance- it is there in the unlikely event of an emergency. I use ManyPets

@tono77 Most pet insurances even cover things like vaccines, microchipping, and preventative care as well. For our insurance, preventative care is the only thing covered at 100%. Everything else is covered at 80%.

@douglastalks I wish I’d gotten it when my pup was younger. Lemonade won’t insure her at all now and others I’ve checked have been about $300+/month. She will be 15 in a month and not in the greatest health anymore so she’s in her final months (hopefully at least months!)

@christianboy123 I am using Nationwide Pet Insurance. I am paying $100 a month for 2 dogs, which includes riders for vaccines and such. ANd a &250 deductible. You pay for the visit upfront and file a claim and they send you a check for what they cover. I usually get the checks pretty quickly. So far I am really happy with them.

@digitalwilderness Pet insurance by definition is more expensive then just paying out of pocket. You are paying for an insurance company’s margins on top what it costs to treat your dog at the vet. It’s only a good idea if you literally can’t afford a large vet bill and would rather pay ahead of time monthly

@jennifer1990 I disagree. I pay around $75/month for both of my dogs. Each has a $250 deductible, then it pays out 90%. $250 is basically one visit to the vet. When my oldest got sick and had to be taken to the ER, the bill came out to $2000 and after a few days, I received $1800 via direct deposit. It’s definitely worth it.

@nerdwellness I mean you can disagree all you want, but it’s just simple math. Insurance company has to make money otherwise they would not be in business. You pay them to pool risk on top of the cost to treat the animal. It’s possible for any specific circumstance that you come out ahead (i.e. your pet gets sick a lot) but overall the house always wins.

@jennifer1990 That’s not on a customer by customer basis, it is based on profitability for the pool as a whole. So individual owners absolutely may save a bunch of money while others do not.

This argument also ignores two important issues with insurance. First, owners have peace of mind that veterinary emergencies won’t derail their other savings and investment goals. These events are stressful, and insurance removes at least the financial stress. Second, owners don’t have to compromise care, which can be cheaper in the long run and is always best for the pet.

@jennifer1990 The math has certainly been working out in my case. $75/month for 12 months is $900. Between neutering, dentals, preventatives, medications, and all the other ad hoc care, cost was around $5000 for the year. My insurance covers 90% after meeting the $250 deductible for each dog. So with the $900 in premiums, the $500 in deductible, and the $500 in copays, the total out-of-pocket was $1900. In my world, $1900 is a lot less than $5000.