*trigger warning* considering BE

@gilcimarlp I’m sorry that you have to consider BE.

I’ve been through a BE with a dog who was not at all human aggressive (dog reactive, but never bit), and I’ve lived successfully with a dog who could potentially be human aggressive, but never bit.

I worked with veterinary behaviorists with both dogs. I was willing to make sacrifices like relocation to a better environment for them, never having people over to my house, the investment of time and money for trainers, their VB, behavioral medication, living with multiple baby gates throughout the house and constantly being aware that doors were closed, and I was willing to be responsible for their safe handling at all times (muzzle training etc).

What made that possible was that I lived alone. I could handle them 100% consistently, I could evaluate every situation myself. You have to determine if both you and your husband can both realistically do that. It’s a more challenging living situation.

I ultimately chose BE because A) the medication was making him sick and B) I knew I was living on borrowed time before he bit my other dog, and that if he bit that dog, the reactive one would likely be injured. I couldn’t keep him healthy or safe. It was pretty clear cut. I could wait until he was fatally I’ll or injured, or I could spare him that inevitable suffering.

You’ll have to be honest with each other and with yourself. If either of you sincerely can’t provide the careful handling that is necessary for this dog to be safe, BE might be on the table.

If, on the other hand, you can sit down and make a list of things that have preceded bites (as you did in this post), and determined “ok, I can avoid playing find it” and that list looks pretty reasonable, you can work around it.

If you simply don’t want to deal with walking on eggshells around your dog, having him PTS is a safer option than rehoming him or using aversives.