Opinons on E and Prong collars

ginalola

I work with a very powerful working dog and am currently using a e collar for her (i try to be safe changing the position of the prongs every 3 hours and keeping it on no longer then 7 or 8) I have heard a lot of hate for them but in my experience E collars have been a god send. maybe I just suck at training dogs. Does anyone else have an opinion on these types of collars. Specifically with larger dogs

@ginalola IMO they are not really necessary but do work when used properly. It’s always better to work with a trainer when you have a high drive working dog, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do research before using any training method or tool on your dogs! The problem with prong and e collars is that they fall into the hands of the general public.... which -generally- dont know how to properly use them. Which just leads to having an extremely stressed out/unhappy dog that has a high chance of getting injured or injuring someone else due to the owners own actions.. or non-actions in this case.

@ginalola I have a smaller dog that I do agility training with. She's only about 8 lbs so I use a harness, but our trainer recommends a gentle leader for more excitable larger dogs. There is a large dog in the class that uses one and does really well. From what I hear, gentle leaders are really safe as well. It could be worth looking into

Back