*VENT* Just because I use a prong with my dog doesn’t mean I think Every dog needs it or that I’m a bad or lazy dog parent

@aegistoronto Is there a way to adjust the shock intensity on E-collars?

I have a very protective GSD (8 months) protective in the house and when other dogs aren't around. The trainers we've worked with have suggested using them, and I'm really reluctant because I don't want him to get hurt for his natural instinct but at the same time I know I can't let him be the way he is or he'll become a violent dog.

@vndkloe Hey, sorry just saw this but yes it is possible to have an adjustable stim! I use a mini educator with mine and keep it at a pretty low setting (goes up to a 100 and I keep mine at a 10-15) and rarely use the stim itself as the vibrate function gets her attention just fine most of the time. If your trainer recommends something like just strapping it on and start using it from day one I’d find a new trainer to work with, as it takes about 3weeks to a month of just having the collar on (no stim work) to properly desensitize your pupper to it. And to your point about hurting him for a natural instinct, I get it, but think about it this way, you wouldn’t want your dog to behave protectively 24/7 because if you let the behavior be/can’t find a way to manage the behavior, there’s a fair chance it’ll escalate and can possibly put you, your dog, or a third party in a dangerous situation. Mine wasn’t protective, but hella prone to chasing stuff, and once she’s off after a critter there was virtually no way of getting her back till she’s either lost track of what she’s chasing or (I hate saying this as it’s a really big fear of mine) gets hit by a vehicle. Id rather have the ability to train her to keep herself safe and stay by my side yk? Someone on this thread mentioned reading an Insta comment about how the commenter would rather have their dog put down than use an ecollar and that kinda broke my heart, it’s like these people want to take a moral high ground rather than find an alternative way to help their dog adjust to their surroundings and live a better life yk? Sorry I went on a bit of a mini rant, but I hope this helps, good luck with training and I hope everything turns out alright!

@aegistoronto I’ve been learning that a lot of people (myself included earlier) don’t understand the mindset of an animal. They don’t see or understand things like we do. On every aspect. When my dog and I go running on the trails at the park, I stay on the trail which is winding and far from straight while she just goes (mostly) straight through every piece of grass, mud, or whatever. She doesn’t see a “path” she seems the ground. That’s it. So to expect your dog to stay on the dirt path right off the bat is crazy. She understands sidewalks. But to her, earth is earth.
And I agree with the collar stigma. While I wouldn’t use an ecollar on my dog, dud to her past abuse and I don’t feel she needs that intense of reinforcement, I’m slowly learning that some of things I have since deemed “immoral” is actually mentally beneficial to the animal. They’ll tell or show you if they’re hurt, and from I’ve been learning from trainers and other dog owners is no product sold over the counter and suggested by trainers is made to be abusive. How you use it and train the dog with it, is how it’s abusive. Just like any parent to their child, if you do it right they’ll be fine. If you just do what you think is right with no understanding or training, you’re gonna just fuck up your dog🤷🏼‍♂️
In the end, do what you need to do to keep your dog happy and you at peace. My dog gets super bad anxiety and when she’s going through something it can stress me out cuz I’m helpless to understand some things. We can be all alone in a yard and she’ll just flinch and stare at nothing. What do I do? Well I need to learn what and what is causing it and how I can show her it’s ok or that she’s safe. And through that we both live happier lives. Good luck friend!!

@aegistoronto I don't use prongs/ecollar personally, tho I have no qualms about them as long as you are using it as a tool to communicate with your dog(s), not as a painful aversive that makes them afraid of the collar/you.

For you to master the ecollar is the complete opposite of a lazy pet parent. Seriously don't take it to heart because people wanna judge till their dog bites someone. It takes skill to master your timing and to make your dog understand it's just another form of communication.

I use the head halti which is not tighten around their snouts like the gentle leader. It was the only tool I could effectively use with my Boston terrier/Chihuahua mix because she was reactive before upgrading to a prong. Now she barely barks and enjoys our walks by following my lead. I had to get one for my Irish setter/lab mix because he's a puller with harnesses and since she was being really reactive he would follow suit.

Now people stare at my dogs or wonder why such a small dog needs a muzzle. I completely understand your frustrations. At the end of the day your relationship with your dog will deepen and you'll both appreciate the hard work put in.

Back