*VENT* Just because I use a prong with my dog doesn’t mean I think Every dog needs it or that I’m a bad or lazy dog parent

@aegistoronto The "lazy" assumptions are just hilarious to me. I use an ecollar and prong (with a help of a professional), and I'm pretty sure I work more with my dog than the vast majority of dog owners. When you get stuck with a majorly people AND dog-reactive pup, and you live in a high-rise condo downtown in a major city, food just isn't gonna be enough. Trust me, we tried. These people have no idea what it's like to work with and help a dog like mine. Or yours. How lucky, I really am happy for them - but they're ignorant and irrelevant, and they have NO IDEA. Don't make eye contact. Keep doing your thing.

@aegistoronto I'm disabled, being able to apply correction very lightly and directly. We met a squirrel and if she wouldn't have been on it I would have gotten really hurt when she' have mostly sling me with her.

O fuck noooo like rly is that how much your doggo matters, that rather than exhausting all available options to make their life more livable you’d rather have them put down??? That’s crazy and the misinformation hurts my brain

@aegistoronto My dog will not take treats or toys during training. Hes that reactive. Our prong saved his life. He wouldn't be able to do half the stuff we do without it. Every dog is different but some dogs need a physical break in attention and reaction and prongs are the best option.

@aegistoronto I have a golden retriever.
Do you know how insane I look walking a golden retriever on a prong caller?!?

Alas no high value treat is worth it when a metal horse goes flying by. My dog has 0 car sense and an insatiable fixation to run with the metal cows.

@aegistoronto Truth. I got a 1 yo malamute from the shelter a couple of months ago and I’m looking into getting a trainer. I’ve been having trouble deciding— but I’m thinking about going with a trainer who uses ecollars.

Super tough dog— Nippy af— but also so intelligent and full of potential. I’m hoping we can make some progress soon.

I live in an apartment building and I’ve gotten all kinds of judgements.

@aegistoronto I know from experience on both sides of that. My older dog had an e collar. Now he’s 10 years old and we can let him out in our unfenced yard unsupervised and he doesn’t go anywhere. He used to get excited to put his collar on because the collar meant he’d have more freedom. Now he doesn’t even need it. It’s not a bad tool if used correctly. He’s a very intelligent independent dog, and training would’ve been much harder for my family without it.

But my puppy? He was fully potty trained in days, he recalls to the sound of my voice, he’s been doing great on loose leash walking, very obedient to his leave it and no commands, he gives things up immediately if I tell him. It’s totally different than our first dog. And that’s okay! One is a shepherd and one is a retriever, they don’t learn the same ways and that’s fine. If you need certain tools to train your dog, use them. If you use them properly then it’s just like a crate or leash.

@aegistoronto I own huskies which are high energy and love to run, I live in the country and Huskies have prey instinct and will chase any animal as long as it's smaller then they are, my female has caught birds, squires, rabbits, even a possum once and to keep her from chasing these animals off our property (and to keep the neighborhood cats safe) we have once of those invisible pet fences, it's now to the point all our pups don't even need the collar anymore and they won't pass the property lines.

I had friends tell me I was being cruel by doing that to them, I just told them next time your dog runs away and you spend 6 hours looking for them (yes it took me and my husband over 6 hours to find them when they escaped once) then you can tell me how keeping them on my property is cruel. The tools are there for you to use, it does not make you a bad pet owner that you utilize them as long as you are being responsible and not crossing the line into abuse then you are find and no one can tell you how to train your dog until they are in the exact same situation.

@aegistoronto F 'em. People are total idiots when it comes to a lot of things: vaccines, climate change, dog training, all sorts of stuff where having an idealistic view clashes with practical realities. I've spent my career in science and engineering, and what the dog training folks call "science" to justify not ever using aversive methods would not pass muster in any field I've worked in. They are pretty much activists at this point, and their actions can be explained by the viewpoint that they believe dogs shouldn't be "forced" to do anything they don't want to do. Well I race Greyhounds, so sorry, I don't think we're going to get along!

My position is tools are okay, as long as you understand the tradeoff and the benefits outweigh the risks for the dog and human handler pair. Aversive methods have risks, but they increase capabilities and lead to a more enriching life for the dog if used correctly. That's just reality for the many human dog relationships. For others, R+ techniques are great and will get you everything you need if you have the time/money, in fact, they are what I would prefer. For a racing dog, you don't want to inhibit them at all, for a mal, it's an entirely different story.

At the end of the day it's you saying goodnight to your dog, and what methods you choose is something you must live with. If you know your dog and what you are doing, there's no one you must answer to but yourself!

@aegistoronto I have no issues with informed, responsible, compassionate people using whatever training tools work for them, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that judgement.

My issue is that there's just about zero regulation in the dog training industry and I have no idea how to sort out the good guys from everyone else, and I've got the impression that there are a lot more e-collars sold than there are responsible e-collar users. So if I've ever given you side eye about your kit, that's why, but I'm sorry.

I occasionally use a gentle leader with my dog just because he can get overstimulated and be a bit of a pain to control, but people think it's a muzzle and that he's a bad dog, so I've even been on the other side of it. I'm not perfect.

@dead2selflive4him Tbh, I was skeptical abt ecollars because of all the horror stories of abuse I’d read, but once I learned how to use it with her, I realized that it’s not the ecollar ,some people just make uninformed decisions and make the mistake of trying to use one without really knowing how to, and the ones who use it to essentially scare/traumatize their dogs into submission are straight up psychotic, and I fall into neither category! Like I keep having to tell myself that I’ve done the research! I’m working with a vetted trainer!! My dog isn’t scared of me!!! It’s just been a lot, trying to ignore judgement and believe in myself, but sometimes when people say stuff to my face it just gets to me so bad

@aegistoronto That's awful, you're doing good by your dog and random people are making your day harder. Keep your head up though, it sounds like you know what you're doing, it'll be worth it, and if it helps, I'll remember you and try to think twice before I think snarky judgy things in the future.

@aegistoronto I have shared my life with large, strong dogs with high prey drive and independent personalities: two Akitas, two Shepherds, one Chow and a Malinois. I have never resorted to the use of e-collars or prong collars. It is not my thing. I am not passing judgment on you, just stating that those tools are not always necessary.

Good luck to and your dog. Dog “parenthood” is never easy.

@treks And what is your point in butting in, are you some kind of a Karen? How is your reading comprehension level? Did I tell the OP what I USE? No, I didn’t, did I? I was sharing the benefit of my experience with dogs, namely that I have never used a prong collar or an e-collar. The OP should know that there are options. Read and understand before you post. And BTW, I am just back from the oncologist. The prognosis for my dog is not good. Whatever happens, I will feel safe with the knowledge that I never used a prong choke collar or an e-collar on him. My 115 pound Shepherd is well behaved, friendly and respectful of people and other dogs. It takes time and effort.

Back