My dog ate 7 grapes

@marissa90 Unfortunately nobody can tell you what is the "safe" amount for your dog. The tricky thing about grapes is that:
  1. We still don't know what specific compound in the grapes causes issues.
  2. Some grapes seem to have higher/lower impacts to dogs
  3. Some dogs are more sensitive to grapes than others.
The main thing to watch for is whether your dog becomes nauseous, lethargic or begins vomiting within 24 hours, if you see that then go to the animal hospital right away (don't wait for your regular vet) Otherwise you may not have any issues.

https://vcacanada.com/know-your-pet/grape-raisin-and-currant-poisoning-in-dogs

@marissa90 I'm not a vet so I won't tell you what to do with your dog but I will say that my mother fed her chihuahua grapes all the time, for years. Before she found out that they were toxic. Oops. Lol The dog lived to 18 years old

@imagebeastmarkbeast Not every dog is allergic to grapes, but enough are that it's just a blanket statement to say, don't give dogs grapes. Kinda like how not every bat has rabies, but enough do, so that if you get scratched, you should just go ahead and start rabies treatment just in case

@abrahamscaria For some dogs, it’s like cigarettes. No one drops dead from one cigarette. But they can do long-term damage. Lots of smokers face cancer or emphysema in old age. A very small number are still incredibly well, smoking into their late 90s.

I’ve been close with several dogs whose owners didn’t know about grapes, and the dogs seemed fine until 2/3 to 3/4 through their expected lifespan, they took a hard decline and died of renal failure.

To me, that extra time with your beloved animal is worth promoting a very rapid medical intervention and response to grape/raisin ingestion.

@marissa90 My dog had a 1/4 of a grape (if that) a few months back, I got him into the vets and they induced vomiting within 10 minutes of him eating it and it cost £120... I'm lucky I live close to a vet but honestly please don't take a chance, you will never regret being over careful.

@kansasgirl She’s doing great! Induced vomiting per vet’s instruction and when I arrived she was still doing great. It has been about 9 hours now since she ate them. About 8 hours since I noticed. Vitals are excellent.

@menon I've been looking thru stuff, and maybe I'm thinking of r/askvet. There are some other non-professional subs for asking the hoi polloi for answers about pets.

Back