Dog ate garlic

@tuckertwo No you’re response did not come off that way at all. I really appreciate any advice or prior experience when it comes to a situation like this. He fits right in with the family and I’d be devastated if something were to happen to him.

But I'm not familiar with a bag of fried garlic oved and he's pretty young. But the garlic research was heavily skewed and it can actually help deter fleas ticks and mosquitoes in moderation. I wouldn't worry too much especially since you don't notice any symptoms. Just make sure he can drink water when needed and just feed as normal. I feel you on the emergency vets. They can be helpful but only.if absolutely dire. Extremely expensive compared to norm veterinarians

@zrayish So many variables….I in no way mean any disrespect when I say being a mutt probably helps. As much as I love a few particular breeds of dogs I’ve never had healthier dogs than the mutts. I had a 19yr old German Shepard beagle. When Tut was a pup maybe 6/7 he found what we could only guess was a 12/15 yr old slim Jim, that probably would have killed a human. We also had a vet we referred to as Dr Bombay. I’m sorry this happened. I totally know what it’s like. My boxer opened a linen closet, reached up to the 4th shelf and got a box of chantix …. I got home at 7pm on a Friday and the emergency vet was closed. I gave her peroxide to throw up and I sat with her all night. Needless to say she doesn’t smoke anymore. If she were a human shed be a jerk.

@pinkjellybelly The way garlic and onions works to cause issues is that it creates an anemia. It’s not an immediate toxicity like you would normally think of with poison. Over time it causes damage to the red blood cells which then get removed from circulation by the spleen. As rbcs go down, then dog will show signs of lethargy, weakness, increased respiratory rate. But the anemia may be very mild and the dog may never show symptoms. I’d recheck the pcv in a few days to see where it’s headed. Depending on the results maybe repeat again in a week.

@ddavis They told me to get blood tests done every day. Idk how much that costs but if the ER visit cost 2k I’m expecting it to be expensive. Once I speak to his Veterinarian today I’ll find out how often he’ll need the blood tests.

@pinkjellybelly This is the correct advice, OP. The blood tests are a really good idea, and another thing to keep checking are his gums and eyelids. If he becomes severely anaemic they will look pale, so knowing what they look like now can help you to track any changes.

That's not a replacement for blood work, but it might help you evaluate whether or not he needs extra veterinary help over the next few days.

@pinkjellybelly You don’t necessarily need a full panel blood workup. If finances are an issue and they want frequent checks, then have them schedule it for a technician blood draw and pcv. A packed cell volume should not be expensive and it doesn’t even need any special equipment other than a centrifuge. It’s basically squirting a tiny bit of blood into a super slim glass tube the size of a toothpick. A technician can do all of this with the results reported to the vet.

@ddavis Yes, thank you for this, I don’t think the effects will be immediate, and we lost our first spaniel to IMHA (we think from accidental over-vaccination from incompetent vet where we used to live but couldn’t prove it) but the effect will be the same.

Look for pale gums, or any lethargy and get them straight back to the vet. We had an experimental treatment for our girl at the university vet hospital and it all cost £6k over the space of a week. (Good insurance thank goodness). For OP, I would keep a very close eye on everything, any changes, anything unusual and well after the garlic has passed through the system, keep a wary eye for a few more days. Poor love.

https://www.petplace.com/article/do...c-cause-immune-mediated-hemolytic-anemia-imha

@pinkjellybelly Is garlic really toxic to all dogs or just certain breeds?

I have given all my dogs garlic and never seen any adverse affects. Mind you not mind numbing amounts. And usually I’m the summer with it being flea and tick season cause ages ago I heard it helped with fleas and ticks.

And since my dogs never had issues with the pests I assume it worked.

@honet My mother's home remedy was Garlic Powder on the food to drive away fleas. I do this.

And as another poster said, my understanding is that in small quantities it has health benefits.

@pinkjellybelly First, it's important to note that garlic in small and controlled amounts is non-toxic to dogs and has geeat benefits. Many dry kibble have garlic in them.

How much did he eat? Anymore, then about 10 cloves would have me concerned, any abnormal behaviour or bowel movements I would take him to the vets asap. Otherwise, if he shows no symptoms, he will be fine.

No hate, but is there any reason you haven't crated a 16 week pld puppy when unattended? Even if when you supervise him or in the past, have been left and not done anything, I would still crate him for his safety. Crate training is a powerful tool and is great for dogs. One particular reason is if he did have to stay overnight, he would have been crated at the vet, and if he wasn't used to it, then it would cause added stress. Something to think about.

@helkel You’re absolutely right, he is crate trained to an extent but since I work nights and my wife works during the day we have someone home almost all the time. Unfortunately we have grown into the habit of just having him out and about whether if we go out for a short amount of time or if we sleep since he and our other German shepherd sleep with us. It is something we need to start doing again.

@pinkjellybelly Every dog is dfferent and some breeds are more susceptible to the toxicity. Your vet might want to check liver and kidney function over several days. If your pup survives you know to now to keep all food locked up as he is a counter surfer

Back