My dog ate Carna4 for about 4 months (review-ish)

@el_toast So its been almost a year since you made this comment. Are you still feeding Carna4? My pup was crazy over it but doesn’t seem interested as much anymore. I give him the duck recipe.

Also, if your pup has allergies. Check out TCM for dogs.

@curiousj thank YOU for the review, glad to hear i’m not crazy lol.

I know that labs aren’t typically known to be picky eaters, so maybe that made the difference in taste?

If you live in Canada, I suggest Orijen - i think the one made in the states has a different ingredient panel or something?

@thuyhien Orijen was just bought by Mars, so the concern is now that the quality of the ingredients will get worse/cheaper. Who knows! Carna4 seems to be the best kibble that money can buy. I’ve just switched to it, but my Pitbull doesn’t seem too excited about it, whereas he does with lesser quality kibble. So now I’m thinking about mixing his Carna4 kibble with something that he does like. Kind of a shame since the kibble is so expensive!

@thuyhien Yeah I was looking at Orijen too. I’m in the US, but I think most boutique brands have an online subscription service. I can’t find many options that I like

@thuyhien my dog was eating farmers dog and home cooked, i wanted to try lamb and carna4 seemed like a solid choice. it has been the easiest switch ever and in one week his corn chip smell is gone

@anonymousgal7 Good to hear, I have my little chihuahua 5 months old eating the farmer dog but and she loves it but I noticed that she is itching after eating like allergies so I just find out about carna4 and im gonna start the switch, hope she like it and stop with the allergies, I bought lamb too.

@thuyhien My dog has been on the chicken formula of Carna 4 for two years and she was doing really well on it! She had some digestive issues with Royal Canin which she was on as a young pup and ever since we made the switch she's been doing well.

The down side as you mention is about the anal glands. Recently this has become a bigger issue as her glands are not expressing and so we are in processing of changing her food again. I've read this is common to change a dogs food after a few years so I'm not too worries but want to make sure we transition to one that will expel her glands appropriately as she was quite in pain the last time we had to get them expressed, which is what prompted the change.

I'm thinking of transitioning her to Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Turkey with a fibre topper. If anyone has any experience with this food and brand, please let us know!

@momofadozen Don't do it! My 8 month puppy was on HK whole grain puppy for 4 months and consistently had softer poos..I'm talking soft serve variety. I had to get the vet tech to express her anal glands at 6 months and that was just the most uncomfortable thing for everyone, especially the pup. Anyway, I switched her over to go! lamb and rotated between that and raw meat dinners and her poops have been perfect since. She gets carna 4 as a treat now but we will never go back to Honest Kitchen. Their supplements are amazing but those clusters and dehydrated meals will make anal gland expressions nearly impossible.

@omatt Okay so after a short trial with HK we decided to pivot to the lamb recipe from Oven Baked Traditions.

So far she’s doing okay on it but we’re still transitioning out of the HK turkey recipe so it’s very early days.

Hopefully this works out, luckily my dog seems to like oven baked traditions quite a lot!

@thuyhien My coonhound has allergies to a lot of food items so Carna4 Venison, Goat, Lamb, and Fish recipes are the only kibbles he hasn't reacted too. For those noticing anal gland issues that could be an allergy to the protein in the food. My coonhound AND my foxhound both have anal gland issues if they get chicken from any source. So maybe try one of their other proteins and see if it helps.
I love the Carna4 for my dogs and their poop is much smaller and less frequent on Carna4. On other kibbles my big guy would poop 4 or 5 times a day and they were huge. Now once or twice a day and the size is a quarter of what it was.

@thuyhien Forgot to mention that if it's left in water it doesn't expand and bloat up lime other kibbles which is a good thing. I find one of the dogs has dropped pieces in their water all the time and it always stays the same size and doesn't disolvd into a mushy mess.

Back