I think the doodle bubble has burst

gd3001

Just this week I have seen one at the rescue I volunteer at, 2 6 month old puppies at the local Humane Society, and 2 being “rehomed” on Nextdoor. It makes me very sad for all the dogs and wondering what the next trendy breed will be

@gd3001 Once they realize the work, time and money involved - grooming, training and exercise - is for the next 10-12 years, the unprepared and unwilling tend to cut their losses. Its a shame, I'd rather someone relinquish ownership so the dog has the opportunity to find a suitable home willing to put in the work, but its also disheartening to realize how easily people fall into being duped by "breeders" that they're minimal work.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of a massive St. Berna-newfa-sheepa-doodle, but the amount of times just this past year owners have awkwardly adjusted their shirt collar and swallowed hard at their puppy's grooming price skyrocketing as they grow and grow and grow and realizing that they need to pay that every 6-8 weeks for the well being of their dog happens just way too often

@thejonesboysofnc Many rescues are rushed out the door in America and other countries to empty the cages for new ones, and they all do not have the money to invest in a behavioralist or several, to work with the animals that have behavior issues. I got my two from a rescue that has several behavioralists that work with the animals. They test for aggression and at what level that behavior is to be able to modify so it can be rehomed to a good home. The rescue is in KCMO, Wayside Waifs and has been successful in helping many aggressive dogs getting their behavior modified and made save for them and for the potential home.

@gd3001 I've been seeing a lot in my local shelter but they get snapped up. Still lots of puppies being bought. I've stopped taking new doodles over 50 lbs bc I literally can't stand to groom anymore lol.

I think we are all over doodles. The bad breeders. The unprepared pet owners. The lack of education regarding grooming. The lack consistency in temperament, hair type, and size. But why don't I ever hear people talk about the biggest downfall of these dogs?????
Their NASTY STINKY WET DISH SPONGE MOUTHS.

@somewherewithoutdanger Literally my clients are always like "what can I do about their chronically wet stinky mouth?" and I'm like "poodle face shave" and they're appalled bc don't make my half poodle dog look like a poodle Ever.

@bman90 not a groomer but a vet and I get that question so much! also have doodles chewing their feet and ripping out mats from between their toes. when I say that poodles get their feet shave for a reason I always get the response : BuT itS a DOodLE nOt a PooDle!

@jakerocheleau I am glad you asked!!! Biggest difference is hair. A well bred poodle has DENSE curly hair. You have to severely neglect it for them to get matted. Obviously there are badly bred poodles with a soft coat but that's not the norm. Doodles often have combination coats. Some undercoat, some guard hairs...often really soft. The wind changes directions and they are matted. Awful awful hair in comparison.
You can make a well bred poodle look like anything-even another animal lol. it's sooo hard to get a doodles hair to lay right and look good.
The other difference is temperament. I know there are exceptions but poodles are almost always excellent for grooming. Doodles are all over the place. Very hyper, very interested in everything. Very unmanageable most times. It takes a LOT of training for me to make a doodle sit friggin still. Just today I had a 6 month old doodle snarl and snap at me when I touched his feet. The temperament just isn't there because the breeders don't care.
Then it's the owners. Poodle owners generally go into it knowing the dogs are high maintenance- need lots of grooming and training.
Lots of doodle owners are either misinformed by breeders or severely underestimate the amount of work that goes into it. Doodles are like the gateway breed for people who have never had a dog needing grooming. There are exceptions but a lot of the owners have unreasonable expectations. They want the grooms cheaper. They want the hair kept longer. They want to stretch out the time between grooms. And they don't freaking leash train their dogs. Which is the #1 reason I'm not taking any more big doodles right now. I cannot afford to have a back injury bc a 90 lb idiot doodle wants to drag me across the yard to chase a squirrel.
Overall my experience with poodles vs doodles is night and day. For reference I worked as a dog trainer for 3 years before going to school for grooming. Spent a year apprenticing under several great groomers and worked in a salon and vets office before opening my own shop. So over a decade working with dogs in many different capacities.

@bman90 This! It's like people forget that they're dealing with a mixed breed. Now I love a good mutt, but if people are going to be intentionally breeding mixed puppies they should think about the health, coat, and behavioral attributes of each breed and consider how they might interact. In my opinion there aren't too many breeds you could mix with a poodle without causing potential behavior problems. And a golden retriever brain really couldn't be more opposite to a poodle brain.

@bman90 Poodles are stubborn, but intelligent.

Doodles are generally idiots, and sometimes, mean idiots.

Poodles have an actual "hypoallergenic" coat.

Doodles have a mixed coat that gets matted because it's mixed. The hairs underneath shed, and the top layer holds onto that shedded fur. Instant matt.

Poodle owners understand that their dog will need to be groomed frequently and that it will be an expensive part of their life.

Doodle owners don't understand that when they buy the dog.

@uga1785 All doodles have questionable pedigrees. Mixed dogs have no standards to set against, so there is zero guarantee of temperament, health issues, hair coat, etc. Designer breeds are all genetic lotteries, and the animals typically lose.

Back