Dog park visit could have ended poorly MULTIPLE times

harpgal

I have been nervous about bringing my puppy to the dog park. He's only 4.5 months old right now. The last puppy I had who I brought to the dog park, got bit on his first visit right on top of his head and got a minor infection and almost cost some big vet bills.

My boy is very polite, and friendly, and we had done a first short visit where he tried to leave with another family last week. Yeah he's that friendly. I believed that his off-leash recall skills were non-existent since they were untested.

But yesterday we got to the dog park (we walk 20mins to get there - have to burn off some energy first!), and practiced some recall while there were people in sight, but off in the distance. Good way to start it out, he was a good listener.

We got to the other side of the dog park and there was some early-20s girl with a very excitable dog just coming into the park. The dog immediately runs over to my guy, and my guy immediately rolls onto his back with his tail between his legs. Not a good start. The girl starts to come over, ask how old my guy is, and says her dog is 9 months old and "he's never met a dog younger than him before". Strike 2 not a good sign. Then the dog proceeds to chase mine, and PINS HIM DOWN, snarling at him right in his face. I have been around enough dogs to know the difference between a play growl and a snarl. I told the girl to get her dog off of mine, she quickly came over to grab him and said "oh he's never bit another dog before". Well, I told her that her dog is clearly not ready for polite interactions at the dog park either way and he should not be here. I helped my pup up, said "lets go" and he walked off with me. I did not see her at the park after that.

Feeling stressed but victorious and safe, we continued. It's a big big park, and as we got to a more open space I saw a family with two small children, one of whom is barely as tall as my golden. I was immediately worried because he has never met small children, let alone mobile and loud ones. So as he runs over to meet the kids I am following quickly behind, praying he doesn't knock the poor kid over. BUT my guy is learning really great manners already, just sits down and tries to lean against the kid to get some pets/cuddles. Relief, that I didn't have to tell this lovely family to leave their kids at home this isn't a place for them.

As long as he wasn't in the thick of a group of people or dogs, his recall was actually pretty good! I was super impressed with his manners, and so thankful there were no blood or tears involved with this visit.

Puppy tax

@harpgal I feel like there are a lot safer ways to burn the puppy energy! It’s such a gamble at dog parks, confirmed by both of the experiences that you mentioned here. It’s also not doing anything for socialization, since it could end up doing the exact opposite result you’re after.

Curious why you want to keep returning to take these chances?

@harpgal At the dog park, My dog got cornered by a group of dogs at the park, then a coughing dog took her ball and mouthed her and then when I got home I found a flea on her she picked up there, so safe to say I’m never taking her back 😀😀

@harpgal Glad it all turned out ok. I don’t take mine to dog parks- too risky. ThE puppy classes we went to had structured playtime by size and energy level. I worked in a veterinary setting for about a year and have seen the damage that can be inflicted- skin over the hip ripped off, deep puncture wounds. All from dogs that “have never been aggressive before”. I am just to scared to risk it with other strange dogs. The dog that was attacked was a youngish husky and had severe reactivity problems after that I think he was only 6 months.

@harpgal
The last puppy I had who I brought to the dog park, got bit on his first visit right on top of his head and got a minor infection and almost cost some big vet bills.

Why would you want to repeat that experience with the new puppy?

@harpgal I was looking forward to doing the dog park with my puppy and I’m starting to think it’s just not for us. The last time I tried I literally picked her up and carried her back out. Everyone is just happier not doing it. She’s happy and social and I’m not messing that up for the dog park.

It’s a shame. With my first dog (24 years ago, ugh) I went to the park every day, knew all the people, and everyone had a great time. … now that I think about all my good dog park experiences have been at non-fenced parks.

Back