I don’t know how to tell people [kindly] not to touch or command my dog at the park

@aba1612 Ahhhhh so you are perseverating on the mounting question. Well some dogs do not like it if it’s happening a lot to them and it’s not play when they correct them.

@alexrcraig People are on the mounting. I’m trying to figure out the truth. I know it seems like I’m being stubborn, but no one has shown me that mounting is always (or highly) dangerous/ inappropriate

@aba1612 This is my last attempt: in your own home or with dogs you know well who take turns with the behaviors fine. But these are dogs with histories and likes/dislikes you might not know.

@aba1612 No I’m not really worried about your dog, I’m worried that you are not reading the room/culture of dog parks. Go join a play group that it’s agreed to allow those things

Also you never acknowledged my comment that different breeds have different play styles. Find matching ones and owners

@aba1612 In general no, it's part of normal dog behaviour, though if it happens a lot it usually means the dog is overstimulated/stressed and should be removed from the situation.

However, if your dog has mounted another dog and has latched on to the point the other dogs correcting them isn't working and other people have to drag your dog off, that's where its bad.

@marciblue1 AGREED.
I know when to stop that situation; where the play isn’t play and is now at the cusp of being an issue.

Glad we can come to an alignment here.

@aba1612 Well clearly you don't, other owners shouldn't have to be correcting your dog. You should be the first one correcting him, if they have to you're taking too long. Mounting isn't play, while it is normal dog behaviour, it's not welcome in play sessions, it's rude.

@aba1612 Mounting is bad. And you’re ignorant if you think it’s about breeding alone. It’s about dominating another dog. What do you think would happen to you if you decided to mount some random dude at the club coz you wanted to show him you’re top dog? You’d get your ass beat by that dude. It’s no different with dogs. Educate yourself.

@aba1612 If the mounting is a “back and forth” where both dogs in the play take turns - it is technically fine even if the owners are uncomfortable. Some owners avoid it because mounting can evolve into fights, I have personally noticed some dogs don’t understand the boundary on play when it comes to mounting.

If your dog is the only dog mounting, and other dogs are showing signs to get it to stop - and your dog won’t allow other dogs to mount it back - it’s actually an evolving sign of aggression and antagonism.

@jcvd Ok. I’ve kinda landed at this final spot: you’re going over to pull my dog off yours, for safety right? Would your presence escalate the matter?

@aba1612 The ideal in these situations is the owner of the humping dog to call their dog if either the owner or the dog being humped show or tell you they are uncomfortable. That said, if the owner of the humping dog is refusing to do anything, the other owner isn’t left with a lot of options in how they intervene. Just letting it “take its course” if you fear an escalation into a fight is arguably negligent.

@aba1612 The reason I would grab your dog off of my dog, is because my dog WILL go after your dog for that. It might have to do with her being an ex backyard breeder or simple dog boundaries, but shes attacked before for that.

But then again, I don't take my dog to dog parks anymore because people in the suburbs don't seem to get dog mentality. Cuty dogs and country folk are better with it I've found. It's weird