incident at the dog park

@aibbycatalan Thank you. I've never considered my dogs to be aggressive. Just loud. And to be respectful of other people not wanting loudness during play, and (*edited for auto correction) *due to my work schedule, we always come late after dark when no one else is there and my dogs can run and play freely for a little bit.

He mentioned briefly that he always comes when no one else is here either. But I don't know for what reason and why he would just pull up and let the dog loose out of the car. He also mentions later that the dog has been bit on the face really bad previously. I don't know if that weighs into the experience on his end. I felt like I did everything I could to avoid a situation like that and haven't had any problems in the two years that we've been visiting the park.

I don't know if the incident was because a stranger pulled up to us late at night and that alerted my dog. I don't know if it's the fact that the other dog came running toward the fence that alerted my dog. I'm really not sure and it all happened so fast. I feel like I did everything within the rules and rights of the dog park other than maybe not being there at all.... But I've never had an issue going there at night alone, other than being a little worried about being safe out there in the dark as a woman alone.

I know that it's a public space and I have no right to privacy there. I know that I have to control and protect my dogs when I'm there. I'm always vigilant and I wouldn't let my dogs off leash or near another dog without assessing the situation first. Which really shocked me when an off leash dog came running up to the fence, while we were inside the fence. As soon as the car pulled up and my dogs felt alerted, I immediately went to get them leached up and ready to leave so that that person could have their privacy. I totally thought I would have at least a moment to get my dog leashed up and walk out before they attempted to enter, or that at least the dog would be on a leash as well.

He is completely unyielding and offended that he has any part in this. And because he's so certain about that, I'm really not sure how to feel. Because I'm very giving and low self-esteem, my instinct would just be to give him whatever he wants. Especially at the idea that a dog was hurt and I could have any part in that.

@qody Sorry but can you explain to me why this wouldn't be your fault/responsibility? You were both using a fenced in dark Park right? Aren't you supposed to have your dog off lead there? Sounds like he did everything he was supposed to and your out of control dog injured his dog. You should pay his vet expenses of course.

@maggiecutajar They posted rules of our park is that you keep your dog leashed until you enter the two layers of entrance way into the dog park. It was late at night and we were isolated. He pulled up and immediately opened his door and allowed his dog to run barking towards the fence of the dog park. In which my dogs reacted. I do feel that that was irresponsible on his part. On my end I do feel responsible for the fact that it was my dog that reacted and bit his dog.
(Which I'm not saying is okay). I did express concern, exchange information, and said that I'd be willing to cover toward the costs of any care that he may need. And then he became a bit threatening about it and would take no consideration into the situation.

@qody Personally I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Your dog, who did the biting, was IN the fenced off area. What difference does it make it the other dog was inside or outside the fence. If the dog had crossed the fence, it still would have been bitten by your dog.

@maggiecutajar That's not a guarantee, but I definitely see where you're coming from. He mentioned that his dog had been attacked before, that he thought it was because the dog was not fixed, and I really have no speculation other than the way he entered the parking lot and allowed the dog to just run out of the car around the parking lot straight up to the fence. I would like to add that we have been patrons of that dog park for two plus years without incident no matter the time of day. Though, this is a public space and I understand we have no rights to exclusive privacy there.

@qody I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but nothing in your last comment is relevant. Your dog damaged his dog, you're responsible. I see in other comments that you are making ad hominum attacks against the guy, saying he was more concerned about getting blood in his car. Again, completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the dude is Hitler and his dog is made out of dog food. Your dog bit his dog, you're responsible. If you were both outside the fence, then the fact that he was off leash might hold some water but in this case, given that you were in the dog park and he was on his way in, it would be really shitty if you to weasel out of paying on that technicality.

@maggiecutajar Understood. And I'm definitely not trying to weasel out of anything. I'm just posting here to get some perspective on how all parties are responsible.

@maggiecutajar Thank you, and you are absolutely not being rude. I asked a question for clarification here with the expectation of receiving any and all perspective and knowledge on the matter. I think you for contributing to that.

Again, I'm definitely not trying to come off as some jerk here. It's just that he immediately went to "it's completely your fault and you're going to pay for it" when I tried to take every precaution that I possibly could and presented him with a very positive and helpful attitude.

@qody If his dog got hit by a car that was driving by at a legal and safe speed because the owner let it out unleashed, is that the driver's fault? (Maybe it wouldn't happen at the dog park. Just another way of looking at it.). I'm sure the driver would feel absolutely awful but would it be their fault if they were following all the rules of the road and tried to swerve to miss the dog? If you say yes, then pay the vet. If you disagree, tell the guy what he did was illegal (assuming there are leash laws where you live) and to stop contacting you. No need to apologize. Predators like him get away with this behavior by bullying people. That is what he is doing to you. You've said twice that you have low self-esteem which makes you an easy target. What would you tell your best friend/ person you love the most to do? Just because he is telling you he is right doesn't make him right. The fact that you're asking us for input means you know something is not right. I don't really think your dog biting his is about your dog being to blame because if his illegal actions didn't start it, you wouldn't be in this situation. It's ok to feel bad but don't let his lack of responsibility make you feel responsible. I don't know what you could have done differently except not be there, as you said. I have never been in this situation and it's not me who could get taken to court so you have to make your own decision. I personally would not pay and I would tell him to stop contacting me. You should be able to block his number. You could also look into getting some legal advice from someone qualified to give it.

@aibbycatalan Thank you for your input here
😭😭 You know how everyone is at their stress level's whits end. It's just so upsetting all around.

I'm planning to address why my dog would bite, in the meantime (training/behavior/illness, etc).

Just idk if he's someone who may try to take things further (unless he's just being tough).

@qody Are there not leash laws in place where you live? If your dogs were in a designated dog friendly are and the other dog was off leash NOT in a designated dog friendly area, why are you at fault? You shouldn't expect a dog to be totally cool with a strange dog running right towards them at top speed