Dog Park Fear

barbaraomalley

New to this community. I have a 1.5 yr old Jack-Aussie mix, and he's a Good Boy, 55lbs. He gets along well with other dogs one-on-one. I took him to a dog park a few days ago, and it did not work out well. As I was un-leashing him in the vestibule, a few other dogs (4-5) came in to greet him and check him out. Most were a bit smaller than him, so I don't think it was the size of the others. I'm thinking I could take him during a less busy time? Google says the park is 24 hrs, which seems unlikely? Any recommendations on how to ease him into it beyond that?

@barbaraomalley I hate dog parks. My dogs have been attacked by other dogs there and I’ve seen sick dogs there. Some cute little toddler, whose dad was there with their dog, even walked over and hit my dog with a stick! My only caveat would be if you know when a group of friends whose dogs you trust are going and join them, or find a privately owned dog park and pay to join. But basically I advocate only ever setting up your dog for successful dog interaction and you just don’t know what you’ll get at a dog park

@barbaraomalley I have dog park fear also. Never went to one and never would. I don’t have one in my town, but their is a dog park in the next town. Last year there was a couple cases of dog poisoning, someone purposely left poison in the park to kill dogs.😭I know this is an exception but that made me really scared of bringing my dog to one.

@barbaraomalley I went once. I was disgusted. came home and showered and bathed the dog. he had never humped anything until he spent 5 min in a dog park being humped by every other dog. now he wants to hump other dogs. Idk how to make him stop. thankfully, he's not able to get that close to many other dogs. I just don't allow it. it's embarrassing.

Back