Rant: doodles are making me want to quit dog grooming

otfl4jah

Hey, everyone. I’ve been a groomer for around 7 years now, and have worked at multiple shops; two family owned and once at petsmart.
I started grooming because I love dogs and a friend of mine did it, so I got inspired to try it. I’d say I’m pretty good at it, given my experience. With that being said, I work somewhere in the south and, in the town I work in, everyone and their mom has a doodle. Bernadoodles, Aussie doodles, golden doodles, you name it. On a normal day, I’ll get 4 doodles out of 6 clients, and they’re all big, about 65 lbs and up.
I’ve been doing this for a long time and I’m use to grooming doodles... But the sheer volume of clients that come in with doodles is ruining my wrist, my shoulder, and my brushes, blades, and shears. I recently had an injury because of repetitive movements (brushing and dematting, mostly) and had to go down on my weight per dog, but where I work, I basically had 2 clients a day because all we have is big, long haired doodles. So I went broke for a while until I got better.
I’m back doing big dogs again and making money but I feel like I’m running on a hamster wheel just trying to keep up with the money it takes to repair/get new tools regularly, while not hurting myself doing a full schedule of 70 lbs doodles just to get by.
The pay isn’t worth the pain in my wrist and shoulder from brushing and dematting over and over and over again. Every doodle owner seems to want a 7/8 guard comb every time. I’m considering just quitting because of the reoccurring injuries and the stuck-ness I feel toward this uphill battle of grooming huge hairy dogs all day everyday. It’s so much strain on my body.
This doodle avalanche has been going on for 2 years now. Nonstop dematting and deshedding. Nonstop picky, demanding owners. Nonstop burnout. It just doesn’t seem worth it anymore.
Thank you if you read this far. I needed to get this off my chest to people who understand what it’s like to be a groomer. I’d be happy to hear any advice or your own experience with doodle burnout. Thank you.

@otfl4jah I developed "golfer's elbow" in the early fall.. and it still hasn't healed because of work.

My doctor: "you need to stop what you're doing to cause this."

"I can't. It's literally my job."

"Hmm.. I'm not sure then."

@otfl4jah refuse to do long cuts on matted doodles period. It's hell for you and the dog. Don't give them the option of dematting. Tell them based on the condition of your dog this is the service I can provide. Fuck any owner that wants their dog to suffer pain so it will look a certain way. I tell my clients that minus the fuck

@monamie Wait groomers de-mat doodles? Ive always had mine shaved pretty low if she was matted. It seems like way too much work to de-mat and also wouldn’t that be more painful for the dog too?

@otfl4jah I retired from grooming 10 years ago and still suffer from injuries… they flared up when I had babies. I did physical therapy and it helped a lot but I still have to take it easy. I work in an office job now. Good luck to you!

@natalia2019 I developed this last year (in my non-dominate side) only realised what it was after 6months when my physio sent me for an ultrasound.
It only went away (mostly)this year as I haven't been able to work since March due to ankle surgery.
Whilst I don't have constant, pain I still have nerve issues down my arm into my wrist.

@tyronasmith It's in my dominant side. It's a terrible pain. It keeps me up at night, it's a nightmare. Between this and my bad hip from Starbucks, we're living the dream over here.

@natalia2019 Are you using a tennis elbow strap? I’m not a dog groomer and have no idea how it ended up on my front page, but I did used to be an ortho PA and treat golfer’s elbow constantly!

Place the strap three finger widths down from your medial epicondyle and wear it all day, every day. You should also apply heat to the area often. If all else fails steroid injections and PT or OT will help. Good luck!

@zeyi Is that the weird, like 2" wide, sweatband looking thing that sits on the arm?

Edit; I googled it. It is.

I had one but it seemed silly. I had a wrist brace that went half way up my arm and stabilized my wrist that helped. Heat, okay!

Thank you!!

@natalia2019 If used in the proper location it should help! Golfer’s elbow is caused by repetitive stress to the tendon that inserts to your medial epicondyle. The strap puts pressure on the muscle just below the tendon that’s affected, so when you’re dog grooming that affected tendon won’t be used. Does that make sense? I’m not great at explaining things without a visual aids.

The caveat is it takes quite awhile for it to heal and for your symptoms to improve. A quicker fix would be seeing an ortho for a steroid injection. If you’re also experiencing numbness in your ring or pinky fingers I also suggest sleeping with a towel wrapped around the elbow to keep it relatively straight at night.

@zeyi You're wonderful. Thank you! That wasn't explained to me. It was "It's too early for physio. It'll go away" because I went in a week after it started.

And it didn't go away.

Thank you for your help!

@otfl4jah You need to charge more. Our prices are based on a hourly rate. For instance if a shiz tzu cut takes an hr and you charge $50 then that's your hourly. That number might be higher or lower based on your area and bills/shop costs. So if a doodle takes you 4 hours to do you charge them $200. We as an industry really need to stop setting ourselves on fire to keep others warm. Most doodle owners (at least around me) spend 2-6k on a dog. They can afford 200$ for grooming. They should have done their homework and looked into cost to maintain their mixed breed dog.

@rachelr15 despite the price on these dogs, many owners are APPALLED at prices for upkeep moving forward. yes, behavior modification training for your dog's genetic reactivity is going to be $100+ per session. Ive met several doodle owners that spent $3000 on their puppy yet refuse professional grooming because its "overpriced"

I do wanna clarify that I work in dog training, nit grooming, so i know i dont have all the information yall do

@pgl I have a reactive dog (long story on his issues) who also has health problems and I often say I’m happy only paid $100 up front from the rescue as I’ve certainly been paying out on the back end since.

I totally support ethical breeding and my next dog will be from a breeder (mentally, I just need a break) but it’s absolutely wild to me to pay such a high price for a dog that you essentially know nothing about, or nothing about the parents, etc.

@pgl And as an owner of a poodle mix this behavior from doodle Karens makes me so infuriated. It took me a year to find a groomer who would take a chance on my boy. I thought she was going to faint when we showed up with him mat free, clean and not even a pin knots to be found. His manners stunned her too. But these doodle owners that neglect their dogs, refuse to train them, act all shocked when prices are over $100 which is 1000% reasonable and pitch the notorious " don't make my dog look like a poodle" just ugh I hate it. I wanna smack them or make their hair so tangled it pulls their scalp or roll them in wax and dirt till they are rashed up messes. I used to train and rehab dogs before I became too physically disabled. I understand how you feel on the reactivity and owners just acting like it's a "cute quirk" or something to laugh at. Ridiculous

@rachelr15 Yes, 100% this. As an owner I'm shocked at the pricing structure in shops around me. Most of them seem unnecessarily confusing and at the end of the day, are too low. I don't understand how anyone makes a living. My old groomer charged per hour which seemed the most fair option to everyone involved, no guesswork on pricing or extra add ons etc. and I knew she was charging what it took to support herself and her salon costs. If my dog took 3 hours to groom, it's a $150 groom. Easy.