PSA: If you think to yourself “doing x-activity would be a pain with a puppy”..

@gigilynn2 I’ll eventually just take them myself if need be! Not having his shots makes it a little complicated. He’s a sponge when it comes to my older dog (who is impeccably socialized) and takes his cues from him, so once we’re cleared by the vet, I’ll let the old boy show him the ropes and leave their daddy at home with his video games 😉.

@gigilynn2 How did you set him up in the car? I have my pup sitting in a carrier with me but he can’t hold his poop very well and it ended up being a big mess everywhere!

@tylorstone I started him in the carrier but eventually graduated him to the entire backseat with his harness on buckled into the seatbelt. I got one of the backseat “hammocks” that allows him to roam a bit but ultimately the comfort of a flat surface. He wanders a bit before laying down and snoozing. I admittedly got lucky in that I house trained him before hand so he whined if he needed to use the restroom. I started with short trips but I took him on longgggg road trips (15+ hours) and he did just as good then. I know I got lucky - best of luck to you. I also had a chew of some kind to help distract him and lots of “good boy” and praise along the way. One thing I did notice was how much more water he seemed to need, not sure if it was the warm ness of the car or what but I definitely had to give him more water - often his whine was for that vs needing to use the bathroom! Good luck!

@tadslife It’s not. I promise. It will always be too late if you never start! Start slow. Know it will be difficult at first but it will get better if you keep going and trying. Best of luck!

@tadslife Definitely not too late! Our guy had a week or two where he was just terrified of everything at around 12 weeks and refused to leave our apartment, we couldn't walk down the driveway we had to carry him. This only lasted for like a week or two we made sure to keep carrying, introducing him to people and things and anytime something new (busses, bin trucks, car backfired - he got treats and pets). And let people pet him, if they ask just be like yeah of course and be will get used to new people. Our guy is 5 months old now and our walks are fun now for both of us and I can stop and chat to people / other dog owners when we're out and he is just really good.

@gigilynn2 Love it! My pup is 9 weeks tomorrow and goes on many adventures daily. She is obsessed with the car, and has visited the grocery store, Home Depot, a brewery, Sephora, and loves going in her backpack on walks downtown. She is so unfazed by all the noise and other people/dogs. She’s also had some safe doggy play dates at a friend’s house with their dogs. So fun seeing her grow!

@plains Agreed! At first I was definitely hesitant to bring him places but now it’s second nature and he is so much better off for it. Glad your pup is doing great!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Thank you! I’m incredibly lucky. He was a rescue pup and he’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. (If that was sarcasm or maliciousness in your comment about me being “not biased” I’m sorry you felt the need to say something like that.)

@gigilynn2 Hell yes to this.

We take our dog on random errands all of the time. Stopping by for a happy, let's bring the pup and let him meet our favorite server. My goal is 100% to have our dog out and about with people and at our favorite places, so getting him used to the process has been wonderful.

So far, he loves car rides, but gets a bit grumbly if it isn't school(training) or daycare haha

@gigilynn2 This! It’s so important for socialization. I took my dog to pet friendly stores like Joanns, Michaels, books stores, dog friendly patios at restaurants, etc. the only issue I have with him is barking at kids. He’s not aggressive or mean to them. He just barks from a distance. Yes it’s a hassle but that’s how you train them to behave in public. Love when I can take my boy with me and know that he’s more than welcome by staff/ other customers and that he’s going to behave himself in an appropriate manner.

@sweetsunday Thanks — Glad it’s going well for you for the most part! I’ve found people are a lot more forgiving of a puppy who makes a scene than they would be with a full grown dog. 😂

@gigilynn2 I've been perhaps a bit to freaked about parvo. He's 14 weeks not. We go in the car a lot. Then we have been to public places a few times. He doesn't touch the ground, always carried but he has a blanket he gets to stay on if we are training not to engage everybody that walks by.

The people at Starbucks like when I pop in with him.

But no walks in public, just backyards. He's met other dogs and plenty of people.

Though I do think I'm depriving him of something important/valuable not walking him at this age; my vet just won't give me the "I think the risk is worth it." Well the vets techs anyway act like parvo is lurking on every surface. I live in Orange County, CA and I have to assume this area has it very rarely; but only the vets have regional info on that and they wont tell me anything other than "beware ahhhhh!"
Like I absolve you of liability vet techs; should he get out there and see the world from the ground? His vaccinations are current for 14 weeks.

Must I really wait 4 more weeks to take him on a hike and get him used to wilderness areas?

@dazm4n Trust me, it’s very hard. There’s days where I get paranoid that I’ve taken him out too much. But I’m careful and I’m smart while still letting him experience the world. It sounds like you’ve done everything right with still letting him meet people and go places. Everyone has to do it at their own pace in their own way but as long as you are doing it, it should all be great. The parvo thing is really tough. Mine is past his third shots and just needs his last boosters. I know he’s not 100% resistant and I’m not having him galavant with a pack of strays but it’s a balancing act. Good luck with everything!