Lies the doodle breeder told them…(feel free to add your own)

@junior2708 breeders who think it’s a good idea to sell a large 80 pound Aussie doodle to a 75+ year old couple. This dog was an absolute nut right off the bat. Dog pulled the older man so hard he made him fall right on his head and unfortunately he didn’t make it. I have to help the older woman bring the dog in and out of her car when it’s time to groom him. Crazy shit, freak accident, but if you’re a breeder you gotta know that dog wasn’t suitable for that couple.

@dmscotland Yikes! That's awful, I had a client rehome their aussie doodle cuz it was just too hyperactive for them.

She wasn't awful on the table, but she was insanely wiggly, and even after months (almost a year) of seeing her every 2-4 weeks, she still could not hold still.

@dmscotland I had a similar situation with a Newfiedoodle. Sold to an elderly couple. They couldn’t get him to stop jumping on people. Mrs was knocked down and broke her hip. Dog was rehomed thankfully. Last I saw they had a toy poodle.

@realist1981 Interesting, I work in a dog food store and was recently told by an owner that all purebred doodles will have a chicken allergy because it’s genetic so they need to eat salmon or lamb.

@junior2708 Said to me by the owner of a "double mini AussieBerneDoodle" at puppy playgroup who was initially under the impression that my poodle pup was also some sort of doodle:
  • They only need to be groomed once a year, and not at all until their adult coat is in.
  • Poodles are neurotic and the only way they're tolerable or trainable is by crossing them with other breeds, i.e. by making doodles.
  • Never use a slicker brush because they have very sensitive skin - only the Tangle Teezer from Amazon.
  • Any food containing poultry will cause an allergic reaction - doodles can never have chicken.
The same woman believed that my standard poodle puppy's shaved face and feet occur that way naturally.

@dwrity90 None taken. Greeder is a better word.

Apparently holding the top and bottom of the muzzle with one hand? I feel like that would freak out more dogs. Most dogs don’t seem to like their mouth forcibly shut regardless of breed(s).

@junior2708 I feel like most dogs don’t like their muzzle held because your taking away their defense. Plus that’s a real good way of getting your fingers bit up. When people start bossing me around about a “doodle” haircut I always shoot back “ well there is no breed standard cut on a mixed breed dog”. Shuts most of them right up☺️

@junior2708 Oh god that's awful that that's the advice given. I was once holding a Jack Russell like that because I couldn't hold him still any other way as he didn't have chin fur and I needed to trim his eyebrows, thought he'd put up with it for a few seconds. Yeah he almost bit me. Doodles don't like it either!

@junior2708 Um, so I've been bathing for 4 years and I'm trying to get trained as a groomer, but every groomer I've worked for has had me hold the chin hair. I don't ever do it hard enough to hurt them, more like to dry the face and keep it still, but why is that considered cruel?

@notausername Because people think it looks mean. Done correctly, it is not mean and the grip is distributed evenly over the surface of the skin. Think pulling a single hair vs pulling on a ponytail.

@junior2708 Is there really no such thing as a puppy coat though? ALL my clients that I've known from puppies have definitely had a change in coat texture and how easily it mats.

@pythagon That's what the breeder was incorrectly claiming. Saying the coat texture changed because the dog was shaved rather than it changing because it's the change between adult and puppy coat.

Back