It gets so much better

@imagebeastmarkbeast I felt the same! I had a miniature schnauzer growing up, and I became spoiled at how low maintenance she was as an adult. I don't think Ripley is at that same point yet, but she's enough of the way there where it's not a constant stress for me to have her. She's currently snoring in her bed in my office as I type this.

@ambience I just brought home my puppy this weekend and the guilt I feel leaving her! I could hear her whining in the kitchen when I went to take a shower.. I left her to go grocery shopping and I felt so horrible. I was wondering to myself how all of my friends can have dogs and go about their normal lives, yet I feel like I need to be with her 24/7. I needed to see this post today, thank you!

@bourge That's very natural! As callous as it may sound, she will get over it and it's for her own good. I made the decision when I got Ripley that I did not want her to sleep with me in the bed starting out. Pugs are known for separation anxiety (which Ripley still has to some extent) and I wanted to swallow the shittiest part early and get it over with. I had her sleep in her cage downstairs for a year. She cried almost every second early on. I'd designate nap times for her throughout the days and she just flipped shit. Eventually though, she started to do that less and less. More time sleeping. She could get through the night without destroying her cage or screeching. Now I can pick and choose when I feel like having her sleep with me or in her cage, and she's the same dopey dog either way. You have to make time for yourself and realize that as much as you do need to attend to this dog, and that it is a big lifestyle change, they still need to be able to fit into your life, not consume it. They need alone time just like they need time with you, and you still need to lead some semblance of a normal life or else what's the point? I'm lucky enough to where I can work pretty evenly from home and my office, where I can bring Ripley as well. But sometimes I don't. Sometimes I leave her at home because I need some time away. Granted, I have roommates that are more than happy to let her out, but she's content with spending the lion's share that time in her cage too. They let her out but I'm the main person that takes care of her. And she'll be snoring away when I walk in. Keep in mind, pug. They do that. Expectations have to be managed depending on what breed you get, but the dog shouldn't rule your life.

@ambience As a new pug owner myself, I am so happy to see another pug get posted on here! :)

Ripley looks to be in good shape for a pug! Any advice on keeping my pug lean? I’m watching his diet heavily and trying to walk him a lot.

Back