I know it’s a cliche but it gets better! (U just have to put in the work!)

@brenda76 That’s fair! I have heard mixed opinions from a few different trainers and obviously am influenced by different things than you!

@ilmc Thank you for sharing this! I find myself wondering if it ever gets better when Lucy and I have setbacks. Shes used to be amazing around other dogs and actually worked as my service dog for 2 years before she was viciously attacked.

This gives me hope that my now very reactive dog can and will get better ♡

@ilmc Totally agree, it is hard to be patient some days but also so worth it in the long run.

I noticed that I also tend to focus on what work/training is still ahead and where my girl still struggles instead of looking at how much progress she has already made. Not fair to her, especially since it must really be a lot of mental work for her.

Gotta give her a good cuddle now that I am writing this because I am so proud of her, haha!

@ilmc Thank you for sharing and congrats to you and River!! That is huge. I loving seeing success stories like this.

I may have missed this but would mind sharing how long you’ve been working with her and what you found made the biggest difference in training? I’m always curious to learn more about other people’s paths to success!

@greenhill For sure! I have been working w her for abt two years now and my god has it been a long time coming but the biggest things I can say are be consistent, push the dog but not too hard and always w much higher value rewards in stressful situations, try different treats/toys/rewards to see what they work best for and develop smth of a tier list for what treats are of higher or lower value for your dog, even if you’re having an off day don’t let it cause an off day for your dog! Plus I should add that while a lot of people may argue me on this and I get that and would be happy to have an actual conversation abt it w actual facts but switching to a more balanced method of training has actually really helped! I love the analogy “u wouldn’t tell a kid everything they did was right bc they would turn into a spoiled entitled brat right? You would tell them when things they did were wrong. Telling them their wrong doenst mean hitting them, it doenst mean yelling at them, it just means correcting them and the same is true for a dog!” I have started telling her when she is wrong using vocal markers such as “try again” “fix it” or a simple “ah ah” as well as vocal markers like “yes” “good” or a clicker. Full disclaimer I do use a prong collar now and before anyone questions or argues me on that I suggest u watch this video and this one because they are great resources for learning abt a prong collar and it’s actual uses! It has done wonders for us and I am so glad I did the research and bought one (herm sprenger obviously) for anyone this has helped who might want to think abt one I also suggest u watch this video if u order off Amazon to be sure u get the real thing! Any questions feel free to ask me and I’ll answer if I can

@ilmc Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, aversive training just made my dog more anxious but I know many people that it’s worked for so you’ll get no judgment from me.

I would like to point out that “telling your dog everything they do is right” is a misleading and inaccurate description of positive training methods. If that’s how someone is using LIMA methods with a reactive dog, they are not doing it right. People should be reinforcing behaviors incompatible to the behavior they don’t want—in other words, showing the dog the right behavior for a situation.... not telling the dog the wrong behavior is “right”.

I don’t say this to change your mind or challenge your own training methods as I fully believe people need to do what works for them and their dogs and your methods seem to be working for you! Just wanted to clarify that misconception for anyone who might be reading this thread and is trying to learn more about the different training methods.

R+ training will not make your dog a spoiled brat unless you’re doing something terribly wrong.

@greenhill I do second this actually. I was realizing just how long it was getting and wanted to come to a close and I do totally get the R+ has a lot of withholding of things like treats until the behavior is achieved however I have worked w a trainer in the past who I promptly left because they very much had the mindset that the most important thing u can do is never tell the dog they’re wrong and I worry for people who have that mindset bc more often than not problems will get worse!

@ilmc It may sound cliche or trite but that doesn’t make it any less true.

Congrats on all your success with River, I hope it continues to improve. Of course, with behaviour, it’s about proper management of stimuli and does become habitual later on, but building the habit is about 20% of the work. The nice thing is that results in about 80% of the outcome!

Side note: I read your u/ as chinesetrafficcone and was like oh? Maybe they (people in China) believe people are just traffic cones ... and then I thought it was funny.

@ilmc You’re doing great with River. Behaviour is tough, because we can’t feel their cortisol or know their subtle triggers (a smell in the wind, a textured surface) but it sounds like you’ve done great bringing down all the other stimuli that smaller things are less intrusive/disruptive.

@ilmc I love this! And I love that you wrote it all out. Sometimes the world doesn't see how far a dog has come, but as their owners, it's great to be able to look back months/years back and realize both the small and large things that have changed for the better. River sounds like such a wonderful dog, and you sound like a wonderful owner.

@ilmc I am so happy to read this! I had posted for help you can read my post and almost everyone was saying to give up or have him put down. He and I are still working hard even though it's been about a week but he has shown Soo much progress. I'm thinking of getting him cbd just to stop the anxiety he has when I'm around my husband but I don't feel as worried around him as I did the first couple of days. I started click- treat training just yesterday and he responded to it so quickly after 20 mins of click and treat I began doing it on walks and now he doesn't even stop to look at the other husky. He still pees on his porch when he's not there but that's him just being an ass xD. Very encouraging and please give me so tips you think might be useful

@lilbithmb I mean if what you’re doing is working sticking to it is key!! Stay consistent!! And I added the part abt putting the dog down being the right option on occasion bc of some other comments but it’s definitely not a first response and I hate when ppl use it as one! Good luck sounds like you’re doing great or at least better!!

@ilmc I agree with @brenda76 I am really happy about your success and it worked for your dog. You didn't mention exact method in your post, but from the results you described, I guess it's balanced method.

From behavior science perspective, correction absolutely works, just like positive reinforcement works. But I strongly suggest people being cautious of using correction in behavior modifications. I have seen so many cases, including my own dog, balanced method can appear to be magic in the beginning, until it doesn't and there's high possibility that it destroys a dog's confidence. I think some dogs can be okay with correction, and they are really "hard" dogs and I haven't met many.

@inkarpathos Yes I intentionally didnt mention much of a method bc obviously that is varied from person to person and dog to dog but I did mention it in another comment and cautioned people about exactly that: it doenst work the same for every dog!

@inkarpathos Added a bit to the post (bc that’s all it needed, more text lol) to cover this and the possibility that not all dogs can make that turn around and have that quality of life!

Back