Insane last 24 hours..

bip

Don't you hate it when you're taking your puppy for a walk and training them on commands (such as "leave it") and random strangers interfere with you? Well hoo-boy lemme tell you a story.

Olive (14 wk, female, GR) and I (single guy with a good job ladies!) went for an evening walk yesterday and we were wrapping up just a couple blocks from home when she spotted an almost fully deflated balloon on the grass. She got near it and I said "leave it" and she paused and looked back to me for a moment and then came towards me. I rewarded. Yay!

As we are about to continue, some dude says "oh let her play with it! she'll love it, she's fine!", and I once again said no it's too dangerous, she's a puppy, etc, etc. We're waiting to cross the street and the guy THROWS the deflated balloon right in front of her and she grabs it quickly and held on to it before I could even react.

Now I drop down to her level and repeatedly command her to "drop it" and she will not let it go this time. I try prying her jaws open but she's holding tight (more than she's done in the past), and I'm guessing it's because this softly deflated balloon is quite similar to the feeling of a dead water fowl.

Curse you perfect breed behaviour!

By the time I get her jaws open the balloon is gone - swallowed and she's not even phased. F*%k!

I call the vet and they advise bringing her in to try to get her to vomit it back up since it happened less than 20 mins before. I'm frantic at this point, texting vet friends, checking online, etc. All (or most) info is pointing towards inducing vomiting. So I take her to the emergency vet (I don't have a car so I use a car share, basically ran to the car, throw her in the back and drive off), and of course she doesn't understand what's going on and she's never ridden in the back of a car solo so she pees a bit...which I cleaned up (don't worry car share fans).

Anyway, they induce vomiting and she brings up the balloon (thank goodness), and she's gonna be OK. Whew. Final bill, $499.10. All because I wasn't assertive and alert enough with a random douche on the street. Fml.

Still with me?

Fast forward to this morning...I awoke to find her crunching on something. I look around and see her gnawing on my glasses. Double f%#k!

Legit cursing the heavens and myself at this point. I fell asleep with her on the sofa (we were so out of it last night and she was feeling down so I cuddled with her to sleep). Not something we do normally.

Anyway, she crunched on the lenses and though I managed to find a bunch of pieces, I think for sure she swallowed a few pieces of poly-carb lens. Guh. This is about 10-11 hours ago now.

I called the vet and they said, understandably, that vomiting was no longer an option and that I should watch her for signs of distress and check her poop for lens bits. And to call again if she stops eating/drinking, or starts vomiting or having diarrhea.

So we're on hour 11 post-lens crunch, and she seems OK, and I needed to get this all out into the world. Man, puppies are something else.

[Update] I found a few pieces of lens in her poop this morning! For you poop fans out there, this was a human-sized poop I looked through haha, and so I'm guessing adding a little extra food yesterday helped...and now she's napping.

[Update 2] Just an FYI for the folks mentioning confronting this person or finding them, or other related questions (I think one guy called me a pussy? lolol); the area I was walking through is a relatively densely populated residential area with lots of condo towers. I live right next to a massive park and beach, but nearby there is also lots of dense residential. So it's unlikely I will be able to find this person because I don't know which tower they come from, or even whether they were just visiting. And even if I did, they all have locked lobby doors so it's not like I'd be able to walk in and confront anyone. I don't really even remember his face! So I'm basically just taking the lessons from this and moving forward, while being more vigilant about quickly removing the pup from the situation (because now I'm primed to expect idiocy from people), and being more firm when I say no to others.

Olive:

@chy Yep, OP. Carry a copy of the bill around with you any time you take her out I case you run into this D bag again….. or, if you know where he lives, just knock on his door.

@chy I’m having a great time picturing being able to grab the balloon before the dog got it and holding this guy down while stuffing the balloon in his mouth…having fun mother fkr? “It’s a great time! You’ll love it!”

I’m not sure why I feel so violent but holy sht, who are you Mr “put things in my dogs mouth”…people wouldn’t tolerate someone doing that to their kids, pets are family too.

@chy Some asshole in my neighborhood keeps throwing their teabags on the grass. Always in pairs. I looked away for one second and my dog got them and swallowed. $1,000 vet bill later, when I find out who it was, we’re going to have a chat about using one of the ten million cans the HOA has up.

@bip "All because I wasn't assertive and alert enough with a random douche on the street."

To be fair, that guy practically assaulted you with that balloon. How does a person even prepare for that?!

@bip Wow.

I just wish I could say I’ve never had days like this, but I’d be lying. Although I’ve never actually had a random stranger put my dog in the emergency vet and I would probably be in prison today if that had ever happened.

OTOH, you really are a catch and a half, given what a great pet parent you are!

@bip Yep, the strangers interfering is a common one. Especially because my miniature poodle is so agile, graceful, and adorable. He recalls on a dime, so when we used to go to the dog park, if I recalled him from far away, random people would always yell his name at him as he was recalling to me, they’d say his name and let him know his mom was calling him. So they would ruin my recall, because naturally once they said his name he stopped to wait for his next command, dropping the recall. People suck.

@cooluel Straight up idiots I don’t get it. He’s not gonna come to me if you’re yelling his name and jumping around waving your arms like a crazy. You’re practically saying come here instead. I don’t need you’re fucking help!! If you would shut up and leave MY dog alone he’d be fine. People make me so angry. Like we had greetings down to a T since week one, and strangers/family quickly ruined it by patting there legs to get him to jump “Moon, off” he backs up and sits. Again patting there legs with more excitement “no it’s okay I love it!” Like no bitch it’s not okay FUVK YOU !!! Sorry this is why I don’t talk about my problems I get mad 😂