So… when was the last time y’all had a vacation?

@imagebeastmarkbeast Having a reactive dog means literally changing your whole life to revolve around that dog. I am happy to not go on vacation if it means she will be unhappy. That's my life now because I chose it. While I don't think that everyone has to stay at home and not do stuff, sometimes you have to make sacrifices, that is literally our job when we take this animals whole life and wellbeing into our hands. We took that responsibility.

My girl is seriously anxious if we separate, although I trust her for 5 minutes with someone she knows well there is no way in hell she would be able to stay with someone for a few hours nevermind a whole week or two. This means that when we do holiday it will be somewhere only a few hours away and she will have to come with us, which is actually perfect for us anyway. I love nothing more than exploring new places with her. But yeah, that's the joy of having responsibilities

@wilmaed
Having a reactive dog means literally changing your whole life to revolve around that dog

Yeah, that's not healthy. I'm sorry. I'm a dog lover and I bend over backwards at times for my dogs too. But there has to be a balance.

Your commitment is admirable in some ways, but the average person should not put their life completely on hold because of their reactive dog. The idea is to bring them safely into society, not give up your life to keep them from reacting.

@davena I get what you mean, but I'm not saying that you don't work towards bringing them safely into society. You definitely do, but some things have to change,whether that be forever or until there has been progress. My girl has come on miles and miles in so many ways, but her separation anxiety is just incurable. We have tried everything and will continue to try but I am fully willing to accept that parts of our life will not be the same due to these issues if it carries on the way it has been. That's fine, she's an amazing dog and my absolute world, I will take what we can get because she's worth it in every way. I'm not saying that you have to be miserable and change every part of your life, however some things will change and have to change, that's just the cost of being a dog owner (or any pet owner) especially when they are reactive. My girl was so ill with her stomach for a long time. If we didn't feed her small meals every three hours she would throw up. Me and my partner worked in rounds and our whole life was upheaved just so she wouldn't get as sick, as often. We had no hope of ever working it out, the vets were stumped and our lives were miserable. We were tired and felt completely hopeless with no options. We have been lucky and have finally found out the issues she was having and so far haven't had an issue in about 6 months. But I would turn my life upside down all over again if I had too, it isn't her fault and there's no way I'm gonna give up on her over things she can't control

@alexkline Typically when we travel we have a friend house sit. Luckily our dog is lower energy level and doesn’t require daily walks. Having someone stay at the house makes me feel a lot better about leaving him. Especially if you can find a friend who has roommates or loves dogs but doesn’t have one because it’s usually a lot more fun for them to watch the dog. I’m also sure to pay a decent amount as it’s nice not worrying about my dog while on vacation

@alexkline The last time my husband and I were able to go on a trip together (almost 4 years ago and at the very beginning of our reactivity journey) we boarded up it reactive dog with a vet. Part of the reason we have not gone on trips together since is because I have had such a hard time finding someone I trust to watch him. We are planning a trip for next year and I plan on boarding him where we have been training as they do that too. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you!

@anthonyhuber She’s actually kindly offered to look after our other dog, who isn’t reactive and gets along wonderfully with her pup. When I say that I mean they both tend to be loners, but they will happily lay in the yard together and perk up when a squirrel runs by. We stayed with my MIL this past week to see how things would go, and Dog 1 didn’t do well with her pup. We separated them for a while but he ended up staying with my sister in law, who also has a dog he gets along with. Unfortunately SIL is moving while we’re away and it’s just a lot to put on her as she’ll have workmen at her house and my dog is also stranger reactive. It’s bad timing, but for the future it could definitely be an option. I couldn’t believe my ears when she said “We loved having him round and we’ll miss him—they played with no fights!”

Edit: MIL’s dog is 11 years old and my husband’s family aren’t a “dog boarding” family, I don’t think she’d be able to part with her.

@anthonyhuber Thank you! We’ve tried CBD that hasn’t helped but I feel like that market is so hard to navigate and you never know if you’re getting the good stuff! Valium isn’t something we’ve tried but I might ask about it as xanax was unsuccessful. Thanks for the recommendation!

@alexkline Our household went through this recently. We have one reactive dog (deaf, almost 3 yrs old) and needed to travel this summer. We were so fortunate to find a board-and-train option that worked well with her. We did a three-week immersive board and train earlier in the summer before our scheduled travel, and she had a great time there and really took to the trainers. They do use e-collars and our dog is very receptive to the training. We knew after the first week that we would be able to successfully travel while she was boarded there. I know time-wise this isn't helpful for you currently but please consider board-and-train options that might be useful in the future. While our dog is still working on her issues, she's changed a lot in terms of reactivity, her personal space bubble, and loves going to "camp" and seeing the trainers.

@johnemmanuel This is interesting to hear, and thanks for the suggestion! So the boarding option that fell through for us was a board and train option. They don’t have any of the immersive training available until next year, but we were at least hoping to board our pup with them seeing as they were experienced with aggressive and reactive dogs.

I imagine the e-collar must be really useful for a deaf dog, have you continued to use it after the immersive training? I wish we had done it sooner but as I said in another comment, we’re in Chicago where there are a lot of dog owners, and in such a busy city with such high dog ownership there are a lot of people who also seem to be going through similar issues, meaning the wait times to even see a trainer for intake a atrocious. We tried with the same company near my MIL, a smaller less busy city, but it turns out they are franchised and can only take dogs according to zip code. They explained they could be fined a lot if they didn’t diligently stick to their sales area, but also seeing as training should be ongoing it would be harder for us to follow up.

The two places we looked at were Sit Means Sit and Found Dog Training (are we allowed to mention specific companies? I know a lot of people are mentioning Rover but I’m happy to edit if not!). Both use e-collars which I was put off by, although I started coming round after reading the testimonials. However we had one intake appointment (at the location we thought we’d be able to board at) but I’m not convinced it went well. The whole session made me feel very uncomfortable. I know the trainers are there to make an assessment, but after weeks of no serious incidents (walking past dogs, humans on the same side of the street, responding to leave it after he had seen a cat towards which he made a half assed lunge and no barking!, responding to leave it and let’s go home immediately even though there was someone at the gate—I was so happy I cried) it was such a let down to see so much reactivity from him towards the trainer. I’ve seen trainers come in and ignore the dog if he’s being reactive, but I didn’t come away with anything positive from the session. Of course he wanted to see how reactive my dog was, but a receptionist burst in in the middle of the session which made my dog grumbly and from that point on it felt like the trainer was intentionally poking him—standing over him, sudden movements and steps towards my dog, waving one of those dog bite things in his face and generally coming across as threatening. Maybe after my dog started barking at him he felt like being assertive like that was in his best interest to protect himself but it’s the most uncomfortable and nervous I’ve ever felt with my dog and a stranger. When he was waving the dog bite things in his face he said “you’re not going to bite me, see these things are made for biting and he’s not biting, he doesn’t have any real power.” Then at the end he said that the dog was a dog bite waiting to happen, we’ve only done positive training and it shows (I guess now that I think about it it hasn’t all been positive as we’ve had time outs and things like that but I don’t know if that counts), he said I was reinforcing negative behavior, and that the only way to help was a four week rehab program.

I felt very put off but I don’t have much experience here. I expressed my concerns about my dog being very suspicious and I wasn’t sure that an e collar would help. I asked him where he would go from here given that my dog hates him now and I don’t feel like he gave any satisfactory answers. I’m still wondering about the training and trying to be open minded, but I really don’t think my negative stance towards the whole thing is just because my training was criticized. After all, I was there because I was worried I was negatively reinforcing some behaviors. But the description of the intake assessment said that the dog owner should come away with a plan, and “we cant put him in our rehab program until March” leaves a bit of a gap for me.

Sorry—I didn’t mean to go off on one, but I’d love to hear more about your experience and whether you had any doubts going into it.

@alexkline We have definitely continued using the e-collar since her training and have really found it to be useful. She wears it every day. When we adopted our dog, her foster had been working with her to learn signs, and she only knew how to sit on command. We continued sign-language training and also integrated some “stomp training” in the house (two stomps to get her attention, three means “No!” or “Leave it!”). But outside where she couldn’t feel the vibrations in the floor, we didn’t really have good options for getting her attention beyond flailing our arms around and doing her name sign.

Up until her e-collar training, she had a vocabulary of around 10-15 signs but she also was very protective of me and my partner and would bark/lunge at others on walks once they got within 20-30 feet. We went through Sit Means Sit (if we can name them?) and their trainers are great in our experience. Their base foundation is a place command which is “Come to your owner, sit by them, and make eye contact.” The e-collar essentially functions as a tap on the shoulder to say, “Hey, you should be doing something right now… If you’re not sitting and looking at your owner, you should probably be doing that.” They start with a place board to sit on (a short square platform) but you can do a “place” with anything your dog can sit on and look at you. You work up to more challenging places and scenarios, so for our dog, that meant taking her to busier parks and sitting near busy common places such as near trash cans, bathrooms, etc. so the dog can build their confidence and practice feeling comfortable in these spaces. Her training has reduced this size to where we can play outside with her on a leash and although she’ll notice someone or a person with a dog walk by, she won’t really acknowledge it or stay fixated. She’s also much better on walks when seeing other people, dogs, etc.
We’re still a work in progress – She is still very uncomfortable with people coming into our home. But she’s come a long way and we’re confident that she’ll improve on this.

Since her training, we’ve boarded her twice with that facility and have only had positive experiences. In pick-up, drop off, and during our own interactions with their trainers and staff, we’ve never seen or felt like dogs were being intimidated, provoked, or threatened. She had to wear a muzzle during her first few days and sometimes when interacting with new staff, but we’ve never felt uncomfortable or like she was in a situation that could be dangerous or harmful. We’ve had different trainers and staff walk through her sessions to get to other parts of the facility but that’s part of the training and helps keep them focused in the long run.

During pickups waiting for our dog, we have seen a few assessments (including one with our main trainer) and have really been impressed by those. We’ve seen really nervous parents leave their dog to tour the facility and have no reaction to the trainer – She just stands there with the leash and the dogs usually just sit there and wait. I imagine a lot of recent issues that we've seen are related to parent/resource guarding from dogs adopted during COVID-19, but that’s just my hunch.

I’m sorry about how your dog was treated. Ultimately you know what’s best for your dog and should always trust your gut. I also think it’s unfortunate there are no openings until March; that’s so far away! I hope you’re able to find a solution that is best for your dog and household. Like I said earlier, we’re still a work in progress and have a long ways to go to in terms of a lower-stress life for our dog.

@alexkline We board exclusively with our vet now. Our dogs (2) get less out of the kennel time than a traditional day care place and are only permitted to interact with each other but they still get plenty of attention from the staff. Sometimes they get to sit behind a desk with someone for the day. This has had the added bonus of making vet visits a little easier.

@alexkline I’m fortunate that my own dog does great for my parents, but I’m a dog walker/pet sitter. Not every professional sitter will be comfortable or competent with reactive dogs, or with yours specifically. But there are plenty of highly experienced and skilled sitters out there!

I would recommend looking at highly rated local companies and being very upfront about your dog’s behavior. There are a lot of great River sitters out there too, but keep in mind that they’re not fully insured by Rover. I’m sure lots of them have private insurance too, so I would look for that if you go that route.

I also recommend talking to your vet about medication for while you’re away. And have the sitter do a trial run visit while you’re out at the store or something before the trip. And have emergency backup (maybe your MIL) for the trip.

@alexkline Ask around at your vet. I found someone there who my dog likes and was looking to make some money on the side.

There are vet offices that also offer boarding and have experience with reactive dogs.

Call around to boarding places and ask if they can accommodate dogs that don't get along with others. My dog does okay off leash, so boarding hasn't been an issue, but the place is actually set up to handle reactive dogs - they have a private yard they rotate the dogs who can't be in in group play through for private play sessions. I'm seeing more and more places offering this type of service.

@alexkline First, You and your family deserve a vacation. You should always set aside time for your own sanity. There are options if you need them. Many vet hospitals are OK to deal with aggressive dogs, mind you they may require a form of calming agent prescribed by them, but it is an option.

Contact boarding facilities in your area and see if they take on an aggressive dog. You can also contact dog trainers that do board and train and see if that is an option..not necesserily to train but to board. Many will do it.

You can see if a behaviorist will take your dog as well. There's a couple in my area that do.

You can take your dog with you and keep him with a muzzle in the room or away from others.

You can see if someone from a dog sitting platform is OK to come down and take care of your dog if you're ok with that.

My own dog is aggressive and we take him everywhere with us; we usually bring his crate and just keep him in there, but we have his muzzle ready to go too. If we were going to go out of country, i'd probably utilize the behaviorist or trainers rather than the vet...honestly due to costs since the vets near me charge around 75-90 a day. But please, you and your family should be able to have a vacation.

@alexkline I’m going on vacation soon and these were my three options with my very dog-aggressive dog. We are going with our preferred option #1 because scheduling worked out:
  1. Board my dog with his trainer. This isn’t a full on “board and train” which my dog has done with them previously. It’s more like my trainer makes sure he is safe and goes on a few walks, and has his obedience commands reinforced. This is an independent woman and not a company, so I would recommend googling local trainers that specialize in aggression
  2. Board at the vet’s kennels. An option my dog would be unhappy with but he would be safe
  3. Find a house sitter on rover. I’ve never tried this before but I was considering it if options 1 or 2 fell through. It does feel weird having a stranger in your house taking care of your animals in my opinion, but it’s nice to have as an option