I think the doodle bubble has burst

@hoangnganvy1993 Doodles have developed a lot of undesirable qualities from poor breeding selection; from health problems to personality traits. This can happen while breeding any breed (especially when it’s done unethically), but what makes it worse for doodles is the possibility of a combination of bad traits and genetic diseases from BOTH breeds.

Some examples of common doodle traits: neurotic, high-prey drive, disobedient/uncooperative (not being biddable), reactivity, nervousness, hypersensitive, high strung. Health issues wise, the worst I’ve encountered are 2-3 yr old doodles getting aggressive cancers. But more commonly, hip dysplasia, locating patella, epilepsy, addison’s, von willebrand disease, bloat, etc.

@hoangnganvy1993 poor examples of each breed being used to create them because reputable breeders don't mix well bred dogs. nobody is health or temperament testing which results in behavioral issues like hyperactivity, anxiety and I'm seeing a lot more truly aggressive ones lately. Structural issues arise from mixing unlike breeds, putting a heavy body on a fine bone structure (making Mini versions of large breeds by mixing freaking St. Bernard's with toy poodles)

the later generation coats are becoming more consistent than early doodles but they are consistently heavily coated with fine fur that is the bane of every groomers existence.

@ellisonbrowny I read about that guy, he regrets it now but the first Doodle litter was a special request for a service dog for a lady’s husband. His job/hobby was breeding and training service dog prospects. I don’t think he deserves all the distain for trying to help people. Just because unethical breeders decided to cross a poodle with everything under the sun doesn’t mean he’s to blame.

@ellisonbrowny You kinda need to look into the background here, that guy was a good dude trying to help people who needed seeing eye dogs. It's unlucky that unscrupulous breeders and greedy a-holes got involved.

@ellisonbrowny While steering towards rescues, make sure to talk about retail rescues. It's where the "rescue" saves puppies from puppymill by buying them in bulk and selling them as rescues under a non- profit designation. They account for a good amount of puppymill income. Just as bad if not worse than buying a puppy from a store.

@aftergodsheart I've been seeing more about this - what's the best way to tell them apart? I saw some rescues with $600 adoption fees and thought those might be part if the problem. I know a few good local ones to send to- but want to filter out others.

@ellisonbrowny They literally will always have puppies or young dogs of cute breeds only - Huskies, goldens, labs, poodles, littles and such. There will be 0 bully breed mixes. There may be a momma dog here and there. Typically they will be more expensive than your average rescue and let's not forget the really nice looking website.

@heretowarn Doodle breeders(atleast in my experience) promise low maintenance, hypoallergenic and non-shedding dogs. Some can be hypoallergenic and non shedding, but just as many aren't. And they are far from low maintenance- the majority need full grooms atleast every 3 months. Some have such soft/fine hair that it's almost impossible to maintain- Some just have horrible double coats. Other commenter tell me the OG breeder was smart about it and had actual plans, but backyard breeders went nuts and now we have everything doodles all over. Many don't receive proper grooming and aren't desensitized young so they act terrible. Some come in with so much matting their coats look like a pelt.

People were sold a picture perfect puppy/family dog with little consistency within litters, much less between breeders.

@uga1785 DVM student here, and licensed vet tech. Darn near every new doodle owner I come across was promised an “easy keeper” that can have a coat brushed once a week and groomed 3-4 times a year and be fine. They are so not, not at all, even a little bit- fine.

@ellisonbrowny Anyone selling a doodle for 2K is not an ethical breeder. There’s a reason that dogs so cheap.

If they don’t have good temperament , OFA hips elbows, eyes , cardiac, and a clear health test, quality coat, and a pedigree then that explains the low price.

@uga1785 Groomer here. Oh no it’s a persistent statement. Thousands of dollars for a dog then sticker shock for the groomer and vet. It’s just getting old. Also no one seems to go to training classes. They come in on flexi leads “walking” like a fish pulled out of the lake.

@heretowarn Literally everything. Backyard breeders claiming that their pups will be hypoallergeni, non shedding, and in more extreme cases needing minimal grooming. Some telling new owners not to groom till the pup is older than a year. Not to mention all the breeding that they do without testing any of the parent dogs.

@dawn05 This KILLS me. We start puppies at 8 weeks. I will NOT be fighting a full grown ass dog for a first haircut. Especially one that's friggin huge and strong.

Back