Doodle owners: Why????

@romanqueen1 I work at a salon in a small, local pet store. My BOSS brought his doodle in to see me and just wanted a bath and brush. I ended up sending the dog home about 70% dry because he was so matted and was not dealing with being groomed very well. My boss fully admitted to being a poor doodle owner and not prioritizing the dog's needs and just seems to have accepted that. In all other aspects, the dog is very well loved and taken care of, but I was really surprised to see someone who works in the pet industry succumb to such a cliche.

I immediately just shudder when people call to schedule doodles. It's always a nightmare.

@romanqueen1 My favorite doodle story is when I had a lady bring in a severely matted greasy doodle in and wanted me to only take 1 inch off. Tried to tell her the dog is way too matted and has to be shaved. Nope didn't want that. Then she got mad when I said I wouldn't even bathe the dog because of how tight the pelt was. Owner STILL didn't understand so I had to tell her this.

"Ma'am do not brush your hair for six months. But keep washing it and go on through your daily life. Leave your hat on for two months. That's what you are doing to your dog." She went pale and let me shave her dog naked.

@romanqueen1 I had a lady bring in her 6 month old Goldendoodle puppy for just a bath and brush out. She told me that the dog's breeder told her to never let any groomer EVER talk her into shaving him. The reason was that the coat will be ruined and change from that "cute", wavy, muppet look into a more poodly, curly coat. I was stunned and so angry at that breeder.

Of course the puppy had mats, but we managed to brush them out... this time.

@romanqueen1 Not a doodle, but I had someone bring me a biewer terrier and tell me I can’t brush the coat when it’s dry because it will break the hair. Then proceeded to ask for a #4 strip. You know what else breaks the hair? Cutting it, FFS.

I went online and found the breeder’s website that she must have been reading from. The internet gives people just enough knowledge to be stupid.

@romanqueen1 Worked in many a doggy daycare/boarding places (& groomed for a bit) and often times the doodles are soooo terrible behaviorally as well. Like nutso. No manners, don’t listen at all and overall just real difficult to deal with. We all collectively would roll our eyes anytime we got a booking for a new ~doodle~.... it’s obnoxious how much $$$$ people pay for these lil turds

@lindart I am 100% convinced that the majority of doodle owners immediately develop a power to be mostly invisible to other doodle owners once they drop the cash for theirs. I have heard this way too many times: “You would not believe the Goldendoodle I saw at the park last week! It looked just like mine! How about that!!” then they act like they have never once seen any other doodle in their entire life ever. Not even once. Yet, ironically that one doodle they saw magically happens to be directly related to theirs. Edit: spelling

@peppermintmochax Hey. I’m a Labradoodle owner, two of them and I love my boys to bits. I’m on this sub because I actually do all my grooming myself and watch out for tips. I’ve only ever owned non-shedding dogs and can’t stand shedding animals, I loose enough hair in my house already. But similarity nothing drives me more insane than stupid people who get a dog with high grooming requirements and don’t do shit with them. It’s just as bad as getting a husky for your couch potato apartment lifestyle. My mother-in-law is one of your customers who bring in their doodle for his 6 month groom and who hasn’t been touched since the last one. I feel for both you guys and the poor puppies, in my opinion it’s honestly animal abuse to let them get that bad

Edit: side rant, I hate how trendy these dogs are. My husband chose the breed and when we got the first I didn’t realize we were getting the most popular non-shedding dog. I wanted a porty, but have to say I love poodles now more because of my doodles

@peppermintmochax Labradoodle owner! I actually started following these pages as soon as we picked our puppy, since I’d heard it was a high coat maintenance breed!

Honestly, so far it hasn’t been bad. I should note that my older dog (2 years) is a Pomeranian and we don’t get anything trimmed but feet and sanitation cut. I’m used to bringing her in every few months or so for the professional treatment.

I figured that with my doodle she’d end up needing at least as much coat maintenance as the Pom, so we got her into the groomers for a bath/nails/face trim as soon as she finished her shots. So far her coat is low maintenance but she’s only five months and it’s getting curlier. I just want her to be used to grooming if it becomes a real need. We’ve already talked about keeping her very short if she starts getting tangly.

We got her instead of a lab in the hopes that it would mellow out some of the lab traits I’m not fond of (food obsession, not very intelligent). I might be in the minority but if I could have convinced my husband, we might have just gotten a poodle! (He’s a lab guy)

puppy tax

and the other one

Their names are Juniper (doodle) and Winnifred “Fred” (Pom).

Back