I think I've made a terrible mistake :(

newlove

I took in a 5yr old GSD yesterday from a direct adoption from the previous owner.

I had expected some old shirts/blanket and toys that maybe the owner would bring so that I could use that as a base to set up a new bed but there wasn't any... So I let her spend the night in my bed -_-

Now I absolutely CAN'T get her off it. I had the bedroom door closed the whole day and she kinda just pitter pattered around and gave me continuous side eye until I opened the door. Saw a moment of hesitation as I said no to her about to jump up, then she gave me the biggest grin and jumped up anyways. Even got a new floating bed for the house and packed it full of blankets and towels/her stuffed animals I gave her, but nada. She just brings them one by one to my bed and then, again, grins at me.

Looks like I have a bed dog now xD

@maxb8070 We lowered our mattress and box spring to the floor when our Izzy was crying cause she couldn’t jump anymore or hurting herself trying 😢 she was 10 and slept with us her whole life. She passed about 8 months later and no regrets about our 8 months without a bed frame. My 2 boys currently slept with us a puppies but they aren’t interest now thankfully because (2) huge German shepherds in the bed would not be good 🤣

@nosparrowfalls We tried those but with her back legs getting weaker she didn’t have confidence to try 😭 we are trying to get our boys now used to a ramp but it’s not going well they still want to jump in the truck 🤦‍♀️

@constantine1946 If I may suggest, a Help Em Up harness is great for getting helping older large dogs up ramps and stairs if it gets to that. It was a life saver when one of mine lost a front leg to cancer.

@babyfaith This is how my boy is, if daddy's coming to bed he knows he has to get down (not that he doesn't try his damndest to convince us he'll fit with us in our full size bed, lol), but if it's me, it's fair game because I love to snuggle my boy!

@maxb8070 Doggy stairs. Get 'em while they're hot.

No really, my boy doesn't jump so I taught him stepping up on the bed or into the bathtub with a low footstool. Then I found doggy stairs (for smol doggies) and they work great. Doubles as chew toys unfortunately otherwise there would be pix to show you...

@maxb8070 We put a small old trunk with a glued-on piece of carpet next to our tall bed. The old German Shepherd dog used it as a step up and down. We left it there, and then the new puppy used it. He’s six now, and still uses it!

@jrbauco21 So true. My 9 year old needs to be lifted (she is afraid of the stairs I bought her LOL). OP GSDs are awesome cuddlers and it is great that she feels so at home already.