Solo visit to Petsmart made me feel so much better

@habanero I totally hated going to petsmart with my dog for the longest time after one of their employees from their pet training center came up to me and got onto me about my vocal husky and told me that it was my fault he was vocal because I taught him to be that way from a young age.

I was like wtf and had to correct her because 1) I got him as an full grown adult (he was a rescue) so I didn't raise him, and 2) I explained that when I first got him he hated people even and for me to have worked with him for him to be happy and trying to get attention from people, and not just other animals, now is a huge turnaround that took quite awhile to get to.

He went from not ever looking at anyone and growling when someone would try to pet him, walk as far away as he could to the other end of the house and just lay there, to now where he loves everyone, and it takes awhile to get a dog who only cares about other dogs and hates people to finally focus on you to even start training them.

I really hated how presumptuous the petsmart trainer was though; how she acted like I have done absolutely nothing to try towards working with him. Feel like she should know better than to assume everyone gets their dog as a puppy especially since she looked like she was in her 50's and definitely should have lived life long enough (especially as a dog trainer) to know that some people adopt older rescues.

@stacyd From what I hear, the education program for Petsmart trainers is a joke. It’s like, two weeks. And they advocate for (try to upsell) adversive tools. I’m sorry you had to hear that. It’s so frustrating dealing with ding dongs who think their uninformed opinion is necessary.

@habanero Actually, in my experience having taken two 6 week sessions at petsmart, they dont allow aversives. Flat collar or harness is all that's allowed. I took the beginning and intermediate class at our local store and the trainer was really great. I had do back out of the advanced class because I was unable to help my(incredibly obedient and wonderful at home) dog through his reactivity in the store even though he was relaxed enough to sleep through portions of class inside the training walls:/ looking back I shouldnt have subjected my dog to known triggers and pushed him past his threshold, but I can't change that now. We're trying to work on it now with a private trainer, not in a store.

Ymmv, my trainer was great and never suggested aversives for reactive weirdo. Ever. I would have stayed with her if we could have trained not in the store. I think petsmart classes are an ok affordable option for basic training classes for non reactive dogs...

@habanero Shoot, two weeks is nothing for dog training, for a puppy who needs different stages of training or for an adult rescue who possibly needs a ton of unlearned bad habits to replace with good ones.

Like I feel 2 weeks is the check in point to see how well the person has done so far and how far they have come with the first stage of training.

Back