I have never seen a well-taken care of Puli

@svjoyner I feel like anyone who tells you they own a ‘special’ or ‘rare’ dog breed has a way higher likelihood of being a problem client. So many of them act like the world’s greatest authority on their very special fancy dog you have clearly never seen before as a lowly person who works with dogs every day. I think a HUGE part of the reason that type of person got the dog is so they can be holier than thou and have something they perceive as better than what other people have, not out of love for the breed.

The people who aren’t like that are either 1) genuinely very invested in their dog and do everything themself because the dog and dog events (showing, agility, breed meets, etc) are a huge hobby they devote a lot of time to and therefore most groomers never get them as clients or 2) they basically don’t even tell you the dog is a specific breed unless you ask or it’s directly relevant.

@svjoyner So I groomed 3 Bergamascos one time, all from the same family. The couple claimed that they used to breed them but they didn’t breed them anymore. When they booked the appointment I was excited because I had never groomed corded dogs and the couple said that they used to groom them but they’ve gotten to the point where their backs hurt from standing there grooming 3 adult Bergamascos so they were looking for a groomer. The day of the appointment, they bring the 3 dogs in and I could immediately tell that these dogs were not corded, they were matted, but they said all I had to do was lift up a cord, cut it with scissors and done. I should have just said absolutely not but I had just become a groomer at that point and I thought that if I did a good job, then I could put these dogs in my portfolio since I doubted I’d ever see Bergamascos again.

Well it was an absolute pain in the behind to try to groom these dogs. The water ran BROWN when I bathed them, they took forever to get reasonably dried because they were so matted, and my hands hurt after trying to cut through the ‘cords’. So after I finished the first one I called them and asked them if they can swing by and take a look before I start on the cuts for the other 2 so I can fix anything on the first, they said they trusted my judgment but it would be about an hour before they could show up so they told me to just start on the second one. So I did. They turned up after I was almost done with the second one, and they said the cut was perfect. I finished all 3 and they said they looked great and left.

Almost a week later they called back and said that they had a better look at the dogs and decided that it didn’t look like I did anything at all, so they demanded I redo the cuts, which had taken me ALL day. So I refused. The absolute audacity, I blacklisted them and now I think if anyone ever calls or walks in with a ‘corded’ dog, I’ll probably hesitate and possibly not take it in, I’m traumatized now 😭😭😭

@svjoyner I used to groom the cutest puli every 6 weeks, mom didn't want her corded and was always a very pleasant and understanding woman. Started her with a c comb when she was 4 months, and eventually she was just an easy 1 comb and tbh and she was so well behaved. Every other puli I've groomed tho was a nightmare or has moldy cords with a solid half inch of solid pelt underneath them.