3 month old corgi never stops unless sleeping. Need help

@scholasticus I've had dogs my entire life (I'm 60 now). 3 years ago, I found a puppy on the road. This would bite and behaved like yours. I found that my puppy stopped biting me immediately when I started having him play with another dog. I think that your puppy is learning how to play and needs to learn that you are not another dog. Your dog needs to learn the difference between dog play and human play. PLAY DATES are in order (in my humble opinion). Is there another dog that you could have your puppy interact with?

@scholasticus First thing to understand is that corgis are high energy dogs. They're herding dogs and need to have that energy worked on everyday.

Cut down on the physical exercise, contrary to popular belief,a lot of physical exercise just increases the dogs energy so they can keep up with it, start looking into some mental stimulation like obedience, scent work and obedience exercises. If you can tire a dog out mentally then the body will follow!

Games such as fetch and going to the dog park are actually super arousing to a dog, cut these down or maybe stop for a while.

I've heard about the relaxation protocol but haven't gone all the way through with it, but the process is teaching your dog to basically chill out on a certain spot.

If she keeps breaking position and can't sit still put a leash on inside the house and tether them to something when you are busy for short periods of time. Constantly reward for any calm behaviour and ignore for behaviour you don't want (don't use punishment as if used wrong can damage the bond with your dog)

Scavenging, you can either give something else to do like a chew toy or a Kong with food or something. I found that if Jasper was bored he'd sniff around until I either stopped him, played with him or gave him something to do.

As for the biting, keep her away from your face, as you work on bite inhibition.

Promote a calm environment and only get her excited when you want to initiate play but then keep her calm the other times. Give plenty of mental stimulation and avoid from getting bored!!

@scholasticus At 3 months ours was still getting locked in the Kitchen about every 2-3 hours. He barked a lot, but you just ignore them and reward when they are quiet and it eventually gets better.

I think 3 months is roughly the age you can give them chews like bully sticks too. That’s one of the only reason ours will stay on one place for a while.

@scholasticus It sounds like you might have gotten your puppy too early. While they are physically able to leave their mom at 6-7 weeks, for proper socialization (ex; learning bite inhibition through play with other puppies, etc), they should be left with their litter until they're 8-12 weeks old. So, since your puppy didn't get that, you're going to have to do it yourself. At least try to talk to a certified trainer to figure out what the best way to do that would be. Until then, make sure your puppy is getting regular naps interspersed with the activity. And honestly? Don't put your face anywhere near the puppies face. As a corgi, puppy shouldn't be able to reach your face under normal circumstances.

@scholasticus I echo what everyone else says about mental stimulation, having another dog to play with works wonders but also hide and seek is great.

Go into one room, show the dog you have treats, leave the dog in that room with the door closed and go hide the treats around the house. Come back and tell the dog to "go find them" - the first time your might have to point to a few treats but they learn this game quickly! And the beauty is they dont know how many you've hidden and can keep looking for 20 mins plus.

@scholasticus My puppy is mostly like that. He will sit or lay still for a few minutes sometimes but only if he's chewing on something. He really can't be tired out. I can exercise him until he drops and he'll be back at it in 20 minutes. He gets bored, goes and gets into things, bites us, jumps on us, etc. I crate him a lot.

When I first got him I was concerned about his behavior so I called a behavorist who came over and did an assessment. She was convinced I was under-exercising and over-crating. 3 hours max per day is what she said. I hired her on for 5 in-home training sessions. By the 3rd training session she was recommending more and more crate time, lol. Because what are you going to do? Let him run around, bite you and tear the house up? I have elevated crate treats to an art form and he loves his crate. Good thing because I can't have him out for more than about 60-90 minutes before entire family losing their minds. So, in short, management is your friend while you're working on issues that are hard to resolve.

@scholasticus Enforced naps were a lifesaver for me.

I have a very high energy Australian Shepherd that didn’t know how to calm herself down. I would place her in the crate or her pen (Either were fine). She would complain for all of 5-10 minutes and then just lay down and go to sleep. Puppies need to be told when it’s time to wind down, so I would maybe look into an area for just them to try this out. My girl still sleeps in her pen every night, and she loves it!

@scholasticus We have a 6mo old Corgi who hates sleeping, even if she's tired (can barely keep her eyes open) sometimes she needs to be put in her crate (with treats) just so she has a calm enough environment to sleep. The other thing for our Corgi is the biggest reward for her and the biggest energy drain is meeting people and socialization. The nipping and biting we worked on in two ways, one by yelping and also by "reverse timeout" where we separate ourselves away from our Corgi. Make sure any nip or bite during play time immediately ends play time, just yelp get up and walk away, lock yourself in another room for 5-10 minutes and when you come back out make them be calm until you resume play (if they aren't go right back to that room). Hope any of this helped!