How to handle euthanizing a dog while having another dog?

joshl87

I currently have 2 dogs that are two years apart. I’ve had to put down 2 dogs in my lifetime. They both were the only dogs in the house each time, so there was never another dog to take into consideration. We don’t plan on euthanizing anytime soon, but I would like to just be prepared for when the time comes.

What I’m trying to ask I guess is how do I go about euthanizing the older dog (S) when the time comes, and helping the younger dog (K) understand or process what is happening?

K is attached to S at the hip. He loves his big bro and tries to copy and follow him all the time. He’s honestly obsessed lol. As much as it will hurt to let S go, I know K will be feeling a lot more pain than we will. S is his whole life and they do everything together. When the time comes, I plan to euthanize him in the comforts of our home. Should we remove K from the home at this time? Should he be there to understand and say goodbye? Do I just do everything without him knowing and just let him come home to an “empty” home? I’m torn between letting him know and process things but worried about traumatizing him as well. Thank you everyone in advance.

@joshl87 Definitely let him be there. He'll get it. You can leave him behind a gate within eye shot if you want him to stay out of the way until it's completed, then let him sniff. I don't know about how to help him after, I personally have always had 3 or 4 dogs, so there was always more than one left.

@joshl87 You need to have him there so he can see that his buddy has died. They understand.

If he doesn't know he will be looking for him and wondering where he is. That will be worse for him.

If something falls through and you are unable to do it at home, you should bring S's body home so K cand see that he has died

@joshl87 Dogs pick up things through scent. So do horses. My experience is with horses.

When a horse was put down we would take it around the corner and out of sight. The vet would to it out of sight. Then we would let the other horses come visit one at a time.

Once there was a lame horse who would not make the long walk from his paddock to the spot. We put a blanket on the horse while the vet worked. Then let this horse smell the blanket in its own paddock. When the horse could walk to the empty paddock of the deceased, the blanket was still there.

It had a calming effect on most.

With dogs, I had two pass in the night while another dog was with them. They seemed to know, and it seemed good for them. The surviving dog wanted lots of people contact the following day, and then snapped out of it rather quickly.

@joshl87 I am a veterinary technician and I absolutely believe animals should not be present for the euthanasia of other animals. It is very distressing and they don’t have the capacity to understand what is going on. In certain job settings it is forbidden. I think they should be removed from the room and put somewhere else in the house during the preparation and the procedure. I think it also allows you to have a final goodbye that focuses on strictly on the pet that is being euthanized

Once the procedure is over I think it is ok to bring the other pets in to sniff and say goodbye in their own way.

@legendsh In veterinary hospitals with companion animals , the clinic sets the policies. They will work with the owners to come up with what they is the best situation along with the owners. At the end of the day, the owners decide. A home setting will be different than at the hospital. I think a lot depends on the owners demeanour and how they are handling the situation ( the crying , the heightened fight or flight response ). Our animals pick up a lot of information from us. Who knows, maybe they wonder if they are next? How would they understand, no it’s just this dog… not you. They don’t have reason, just instinct. In the wild animals would not hang around to watch an animal die, they would fight, freeze or run. Sure after they may come back to figure things out but not in the moment. Euthanasia can be very emotionally charged for obvious reasons and the other animals will pick that up along with what is happening for the animal to be euthanized. I’m sure there are examples where nothing was seen to be happening for the other animals but I am unsure that they were ok

In abattoirs and laboratories, government animal welfare policies and best practices are in place to minimize the contact between animals. Things are done in separate rooms. Necropsies and studies done have shown that the animals have increased stress hormones in their system .

@joshl87 I agree with having your other dog there when the one passes. Then, get into your routine as quickly as you can with your one dog after. I lost one from a bonded pair, and we got back into walks, doggie parks, daycare, and car rides quickly. Made sure I kept doing the things she loves.

@joshl87 As a person who works primarily in the emergency veterinary industry. I'm going to tell you right now that I have never seen the dog more stressed than when they were there to be ethanized and their housemate was there too. Both dogs are always panting, pacing, and I have witnessed the "healthy" one anxious biting and redirecting on the one being euthanized.

If owners truly want their dogs to all be together, I highly recommend at home euthanasia.

If that's not something you can do (afford or the service is not around you), in my opinion you are giving your dogs undue stress so they can "participate" in a way humans do. You are projecting human cultural needs on to them. And I have never seen a peaceful, stressless event involving multiple dogs or cats.

I see and agree with the merit of the other animals seeing the body of their housemate. They do understand death in their own way. They will still grieve. However, they don't understand that they are specifically at the clinic because one of them is about to die. It's very stressful overall, and I, again, recommend home euthanasias for family who wish to all be present.

But keep in mind that neither dog will understand the solemn gravity of the occasion, so anticipate excitement/stress. Talk to your vet so this experience is peaceful for everyone involved.

I'm sorry this time has come upon your family. I wish you all comfort.

Back