How do I know my dog isn’t a little shit during grooming?

@burialchoice Getting a grooming table on a loop is a good way to start training him at home. You can use treats while getting him used to handling. My lab/shep is HORRIBLE for nails. As a groomer, it's kind of embarrassing bringing him to work with me to groom him. But doing stuff in the floor makes him turn into full german shepherd mode...
On the table, he just whines a little.

You can find a medium sized dog table on Amazon for around $100. You could also put him on a table you have but the neck or shoulder restraint is important for their safety so I would personally recommend getting a grooming table.

Good luck! It's possible to make them behave at home but it's hard. Just like kids lol

@hache Yeah my only options are floor and couch but floor is definitely play time and couch tends to be nap time so I get why he doesn’t really want grooming to enter those zones. I’m not sure I have the space for a grooming table but I’ll look into it, thanks for the tip.

@burialchoice Cavs are usually very good for grooming except for wanting to sit the whole time lol. The biggest issue I've ever had with a cav in my 15 years of grooming was with my own personal cav and that was that she would bark at any other humans she saw during her groom because she wanted them to come pet her.

@burialchoice Groomer here.
How your dog behaves at home and how he behaves for professionals can be two very different things. Dogs know who to mess with and who isn’t going to take their crap. In my shop, if a dog is a pinhead..I’ll let you know. I hear every day from owners of both cats and dogs that they can’t do anything with their pet at home but they’re great for us. It’s a vibe.

@burialchoice I have a maltipoo that is so sweet for everything. His Mom came early to pick him up, I had no idea. She was in the lobby watching thru the window. She said he lets me do things she could never do.

@burialchoice I always say it’s like a child.

They know how they can act around mom and dad but I’m a stranger and they’re not quite sure if I’m gonna throw them out a window or not :)

Most of my clients laugh

@burialchoice I assume if you went to different places and groomers and they all said they were good, they were. Some groomers lie for some reason. But not all.

Like others have said we can get away with a lot more than owners can typically. It is a combination of confidence, a new place, and just not being mom/dad that really helps us.

I can't clip my one cats nails at all he tries to murder me but if I take him somewhere the little shit is an angel and cuddles them. 😤 So I feel you. And that's coming from a professional who has three others and this one whose been getting his nails done by me since 4 weeks lol. Sometimes they just truly do better with someone else.

@burialchoice I have lots of clients tell me their dog is nippy or a biter for nails then they’re so sweet on the table or like maybe just a tad wiggly

It’s almost guaranteed if they have two dogs whichever one they say is the grumpy one is actually the sweet one and the “sweet”one is actually Satans spawn.