My dog isn’t safe around my baby. Is it time for BE?

@mjm13 I don’t want to scare you but we had something happen several years ago in our area with a pit bull. The dog was fine and then the owners brought home their newborn. One day when the baby was a few months old the dog attacked the baby out of nowhere. Sadly, the baby died of her injuries and the dog was put down (owner requested it). Animals can be unpredictable and your dog has given you some warning signs, please don’t ignore them. Good luck.

@mjm13 Your dog has bitten multiple people, will bite more people in the future and is unsafe around your new baby and your here on Reddit trying to justify why you should not put him down?

@mjm13 Your infant deserves to be safe. And this dog sounds like a massive liability outside of the home as well. I think you already know the answer, I’m sorry to say.

@mjm13 I know it’s a really devastating decision to have to make, so my heart goes out to you. I’m just really concerned for your baby.

@mjm13 dont put your dog down. if you've raised it properly and taught it to not bite, it shouldn't be a danger to a child let alone anyone/thing that it doesn't see as a threat. If you really are uncertain about keeping it around though, do some research and look into shelters.

Remember that dogs are as good as their owners raised them to be.

@1harvey Yeah, no. You can raise them not to bite, but you can’t account for every scenario.

Had a similar issue, it sucks bad. I’m sorry. Look at it this way, how can you explain to your 20 year old son why he only has 1 ear and a massive scar because of a dog that’s been long dead by then. What would you say to him?

Also, dog doesn’t need to be put down. It can be rehomed to willing people with no kids. Be transparent.

@1harvey I used to think that last line too.

I’ve worked/lived on a property that ran a shelter and had many dogs. I’m concerned there may be a genetic issue with this boy.

I do believe I’ve done everything right from an ownership stand point so far. Just looking for perspective and any other options.

Thank you for reading and replying.

@mjm13 I also used to think that last line. After doing a TON of breed research, I absolutely believe genetics play far more into it than some give credit for.

As someone who had German shepherds, I will say this sounds like pretty typical GSD behaviour. They’re extremely affectionate and protective of their family, and as such we couldn’t bring our GSD around other dogs. (If none of our family was around, she was great with other dogs. But wanted to protect her pack if we were around, and would probably kill every dog she saw).

Personally, I would only expect this kind of behaviour to increase. It usually does as GSDs grow.

Personally, I would rehome to someone that has experience with these kinds of dogs and/or behaviours. You and your family deserve to be safe and happy, but your dog deserves that too.

@1harvey LOL. No. Dogs can be born wired wrong. They can be badly bred. There are dogs out there that are horribly inbred. You really think raising an inbred dog "right" gonna fix its issues?

Sorry thats just fucking ridiculous.

@1harvey I had an American bulldog, Red nose Pit mix, and had a similar situation. He was great with my daughter. We had our son 2 years later. The dog wasn't as inviting as the new little one. It took some time but the dog realized he was part of the family. Never trust a dog. We watched them closely and over time things just got better. I had caught them sleeping together on several occasions. Best dog ever. They protect their own. I live in the boonies and originally got the dog for protection. He did his job.

@mjm13 I’m so sorry, OP. This can’t be easy and it sounds like you’ve worked hard to do what you can for your dog. If he can’t be rehomed or kept away from baby, I wish you and your family some final happy days with your pup ❤️ I know people say it’s always the owners fault, but some dogs just have something in their brains and sometimes you find out too late that they’re not a good fit for you.

The assumption that your dog has bully in him is fair as it can be an unpredictable and dangerous breed if you don’t know its disposition/lineage going in. But I also want to flag that some GSDs (especially non working line) have genetic dispositions to aggressive behaviours too. I’m not sure how young he was when you rescued him, but the aggression could have been wired in from an incident when he was little.

@pentecostal1ness Thank you for your kind words. I can confidently say I’ve done my best so far. The K9 handler told me he thinks my dog would’ve already been put down by now if a different owner had adopted him. I’m glad to have given him a few years of a happy life… still hopeful there’s more for him - we’ll see.

@mjm13 Sounds your dog has major resource guarding issues in regards to your family.

And its reaction to your son at the door is very disturbing. People can say what they want but priority should always be your children. Guilt over BE is nothing compared to that of a mauled child.

Even in a security position that dog seems high risk. Security dogs should scare, not maul.

@mjm13 I truly despise when people get dogs, then treat them as disposable when they do something like a dog.

You decided to care for a living being. Then you included yet another living being in your house, and now you're considering killing the first one because the second one is obviously too small to be around the first one. Do you understand how shitty that is?

You fucked up. You made the objectively immoral decision to have children after promising that you would be there for the dog, and now that poor animal is facing death? I really think people should be tested for sound judgment before being allowed to have either a dog OR a child. You wouldn't qualify for either.

Literally do not rest until you have a new home for that dog. It is the absolute least you can do.

@mjm13 Seems like your a responsible and knowledgeable owner in terms of having a dog and training one, if you’re unable to break the aggressive behaviour than your best bet is to submit it to a shelter. Maybe allow them to rehouse the dog so you can keep a guilt free conscious rather than putting him down.