considering a spoo

jwfletch

Hi 👋 my partner and I are considering a curly haired breed like a standard poodle or portuguese water dog for our next dog.

I can handle regular grooming (e.g. some light daily brushing, brushing teeth, occasional ear rinse). I have a 1 y/o Irish setter right now and I think we are keeping him looking pretty spiffy.

My question is whether if it's acceptable to keep a dog like a spoo in a puppy cut / short "teddy bear" cut the majority of the time. Is it ethical, is it comfortable for the dog?

I prefer the aesthetics of the short curly coat and it seems like less upkeep, especially if your dog is active.

Any guidance or tips are welcome! I know dog groomers see it all, and I wanna know what I'm getting into before getting a 2nd puppy

@jwfletch It's completely ok to keep a poodle short! I have two and one is a show dog so kept very long the other is usually short on the body with a doodle face cause I think it looks cute. The best thing about poodles is you can make them look like anything, bedlington, poodle, lab, doodle, however you want to keep them. As long as they aren't matted no groomer will care how you keep them cut. Most active or working poodles are kept short. I personally really appreciate people who know themselves well enough to admit they can't or don't want to upkeep the coat and keep them short. I have dogs that come in on a 6 week schedule do be shaved short every time.

@rachelr15 I love learning about show grooms and really wish we had a better thread for conformation. I also only groom (one breed) for show. I am completely fascinated going to AKC shows and learning about other breeds.

@ggv I'd recommend the FB group "new to showing poodles" for tons of good information about it. Also feel free to dm me any questions. I love poodles they are my heart breed and I am always willing to talk someone's ear off about them

@jwfletch As long as the dog is clean and comfortable you can do whatever you like. I know a lot of poodle owners that keep them short. I just got a standard poodle puppy and I plan to keep him on the short side with a long top knot and ears. It's really up to you!

@jwfletch At my old salon, a coworker had a Standard Poodle that was working through hunting with her owner's husband. The dog was kept in a 7F kennel cut with clean face and feet. Nothing wrong with it! In my opinion, no matter how stupid I, a dog groomer, thinks a cut looks, as long as the owner and dog are happy then no biggie! (unless you keep your doodle 8 inches long... I may complain)

@jwfletch I have a standard and would recommend keeping them in a short clip. Less maintenance for you, less chance of matting. I keep mine longer and he requires weekly baths, and daily brushing. I used to groom so i have the equipment needed to keep up with the hair. Unless you're planning on investing a ton of time and money (equipment/tools) or showing the dog in confirmation, a kennel clip with a teddy bear head is the norm for pet poodles. I personally prefer a clean face&feet with a kennel clip. Makes them look distinctly poodle! Standards are such fun dogs and there are so many creative grooms you can do with their coat.

@jwfletch I keep my standard poodle in the basic doodle style so people can see that poodles can be doodled. Healthy beautiful coated easy to maintain poodles with consistent hair type

@jwfletch Most poodle owners keep their dogs short, honestly. We see so many poodle & doodle owners who get a puppy and want long flowing locks, but get tired of a the work to maintain it, so they end up going to a shorter more manageable cut.
You can do whatever length you want, but it will be weekly work, every week at minimum.

@synergist Poodles have 2 "puppy clip"'s. One is the basic with clean face, feet, & pom tail with a longer, shaped body & a flat top line to show off the fullness of their puppy coat. The other is a "T- Lion puppy clip" which looks almost the same, but the hind quarter is shorter & sports more of a jacket. Poodles can be shown in the showring in these clips before they are 12mo. After they have to be transitioned to an English saddle or continental.

I think it's also called a Scandinavian clip.

Other than that, "puppy cut" can mean anything.

@tmur That was what I was getting at! People come come in with mixed breed. I know what a puppy cut is on a Poodle, but my question was Doodles, Pooshons. Cavashon,s etc. Seriously what do they want?

If someone came in with a Poodle, I would know what they're looking for, it's the mixed breeds that have no "standard" as far as Puppy Cut.

@synergist They don't even know. When I ask or pry for more details, and if the client is like "don't you know what a puppy cut is?"

I pull out my books and show them the true clip. I then give a nice smile and ask "so this is what we're wanting on your maltise mix?" The karen typically backtracks after that.

Same thing when people say they want a poodle cut. I'm like "which one?" 😇

@tmur I'm aware of what a "puppy cut" is on a poodle, however it gets used on Doodles, Cavipoos, Maltese...you name it. That was my intention.