Considering a GSD puppy. I’ve had labs my entire life. Any words of wisdom or things to know about the breed?

@robhandy Exactly! when he would freak out at other dogs he was made to sit down and we would not move until he did.

He did not like this because he wants to go exploring when we are outside, not sitting there doing nothing.

Eventually he realized that if he doesn't behave we dont move.

@mrbasson86 👍 ok, makes sense. But what if your dog is tired out from playing, and just wants to sit and bark at other dogs that walk by? (Doesn’t want to explore, because already tired out)

@ijesusafrica Grew up with a black lab, then have a GSD. My black lab, Maxie, loved everyone but loved the person who in charge of dinner the most. He just loved to play, and you could never get too mad at him.

My GSD is a self employed cop and will block bullets for my partner. If you are slightly out of the routine, (get home late, In a room by yourself, etc.), she is investigating. Oh you are not allowed to touch my partner’s face too, she will get in between and try to push you away.

Maxie would eat EVERYTHING. My GSD will throw treats she doesn’t like on the ground and ask for a new one lol they are the complete opposite, that’s how I’d describe them.

@reneprays The picky eater is a thing. My GSD wants me to stand or sit next to him while he eats. If I walk away- he will often stop eating and walk with me. There’s no multitasking feeding my boy.

@ijesusafrica I think an immediate difference you’ll notice with a GSD puppy is their mouthiness is not as inherently soft as a lab or other retriever. They tend to bear down more and have to be shown to mouth more gently. They’re called “landsharks” during their teething phase because they can be quite the menace when their gums are hurting.

I have never owned retrievers myself, but my friends and co-workers have - and I have gotten to play with them and the puppies wetre always gentler as a default. Luffy (my border collie) was gentler as well.

I would also say as a general rule of thumb German Shepherds tend to be more “alert”, and while they can be friendly and sociable - they’ll generally do an “ocular pat down” of a stranger before allowing pets. Ziggy loves being pet even by new folks, but she does like to get a good look and sniff in or she’ll literally dodge their hands! Meanwhile most retrievers I have met just sort of go for it!!

I think you’re in for a treat. They’re loyal, smart, athletic, velcro dogs. Plenty like to cuddle (not a given though), they’re very astute, and they want to please. You can do a lot of fun training with a German Shepherd. I think as long as you’re open to doing at least some basic obedience and doing daily walks or doing some exercise in a yard you’ll be good. I actually do agility in our yard with Ziggy for fun - she really enjoys it. I agree with others that you’ll likely want a non-working line - those German Shepherds will requite significantly more attention or they get destructive.

@ijesusafrica Make EXTREMELY sure to socialize right away with both children and other dogs.

‘Also be prepared to ‘work’ a GSD multiple times a day to disperse energy, unlike labs GSD’s need to work and have a purpose. They will need a lot of supervision as puppies as well as firm training. Unlike Labs - they will test you constantly until they understand who is in the ‘dominant’ role.

After all that be prepared for the most loyal companion that will have your back like no other!

@ijesusafrica I love my gsd, but it’s exhausting. There are like 4 lab or lab mixes on my street. One day I was walking by myself and all four were out on their front yard while their owners were working in their garage or unloading groceries or whatever None of them looked at me, barked at me, approached me. They just sat there. Their owners didn’t even ban an eyelash.

I wish I had that tranquility.

Back