[Breeds] Owning a dog for the first time (City Dwellers)

@blessed4 They are! They're also typically vocal, but training can help.

Have you considered the Coton de Tulear? Cute little white dogs, 8-15lbs, fairly healthy, fairly quiet, low shedding. They're on my list as possible.

@blessed4 Tiny dogs are very fragile. A friend's dog broke his legs twice because it jumped from the sofa and one had to be amputated. The smallest dog that I would get is at least 9lbs.

@joseph124 I was going to say the same. I’m currently looking at options for my next dog (don’t tell my boy, he won’t be happy at sharing) The only disadvantage I’ve read about so far is the toilet training common to many toy breeds. The cause seems to be our habit of carrying them around a lot.

Dachshunds are very prone to spinal issues because of their long backs so you have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they don’t jump up or down too far and have ramps around to alleviate the issue

@joseph124 Also came here to recommend a havanese! I don’t have one, but my dog’s best friend is a havanese and he is amazing!! So sweet, eager to please, smart, and dynamic. He will go for long walks if you want, or stay in bed for a few days if you’re sick. He just wants to hang out with his person, whatever that entails. He was super easy to potty train and has learned a ton of tricks (wayyy more than my cairn terrier is willing to learn).

I think a havanese would be really good for your situation based on what you described!

@blessed4 > We’ve spent a few days with German Shepard puppies and have a good idea for the patience raising one will require.

Nothing can fully prepare you for what raising a puppy entails, to be honest. Just know that there will be periods where it feels absolutely untenable and you're about to lose your mind. Spending a few days with puppies is a drop in the bucket. Not to say it's not worth it, but you absolutely will want to rehome at least a couple of times, especially once they hit the teenager period. Imagine how bad it will be and then double that. Not to scare you off because I absolutely think raising a puppy is worth it! Just to prepare you.

You will need to be able to devote WAY more than an hour a day, though, especially if you get a puppy. Maybe look at older rescue dogs if you can't handle the constant in and out that a puppy requires, especially potty training (smaller dogs are harder to potty train, also, in my experience).

@josh_ats You are soooo right! It was just like a newborn lol. 24/7 work. A lot of bites. A lot of pee and poop. And the first time I started to train to leave him alone at home (for 5 min) I was dead worried/scared lol.

@2preciousgirls I've had all fosters so I've done crate training for all of them and that makes it easier to leave them home alone knowing they won't chew cords, but the potty training sometimes feels never ending!

@blessed4 I would suggest a Bichon Frise the most because the other 3 don't quite match.

Both the Pug and Shih Tzu are prone to health problems because of their flat faces. As you mentioned, when they have to go to a vet for these problems, it will most likely not be covered by insurance. Also, why would you want a dog that is unable to breathe normally? But that's just my personal opinion.

Regarding the Dachshund, they are not really suitable for first-time dog owners. They are very vocal and extremely stubborn. If you really want a Dachshund, talk to some owners and breeders about what they are like. I absolutely love Dachshunds and their crazy personalities, but they are not easy to handle.

The Bichon Frise (or their smaller cousin, the Maltese) is more easygoing, happy, and playful. With good socialization, they are usually very friendly to people and less likely to bark. I would also suggest looking at Toy Poodles. They match your requirements but have a different personality than the Bichon Frise.

And one last thing, please keep in mind that small dogs can easily live for 15 years or more. Your (and your sisters) life will probably change a lot in the upcoming 15 years, will a dog still fit into your life after 5, 10, or 15 years?

@sittingathisfeet It will more likely fit into my lifestyle than my sisters, I run a business and primarily WFH. So we've agreed it will end up being my dog.

With regards to the dachshund, this is something that I assumed too.

As for the BF, this is what we were hedging towards, mainly because of their personality and health issues with Pug and Shih Tzu, i thought the ST had less health issues than the pug?

@blessed4 The St has a lot less health issues than a Pug but that is not because the ST is a very healthy breed but more because the pug is at the top (together with the cavalier king Charles spaniel and the french bulldog) when it comes to genetic disorders.

One of the biggest problems with the ST is their Brachycephalic face. Problems like Brachycephalic Obstructive Airway Syndrome, collapsed trachea, proptosis and blindness are truly horrible and all caused by their flat faces.

@blessed4 If looking at breeders, I would really recommend going to the breed club for your respective breed to find contacts for breeders (e.g the bichon frise breed club) or keep an eye on champdogs for the breed you decide on (the only dog marketplace which strives for ethical breeding).
Most crosses (if not bred for working purposes) will likely not be ethically bred as per the criteria in the responsible breeding guide. Though if you find one in a rescue or one being rehomed (making sure it isn't a puppy mill/irresponsible breeder in disguise), then absolutely go for a mix.

@sittingathisfeet I have two Bichons. Leo is eight and Archie is three months. They certainly require training and LOTS of grooming. Leo is really the bestest dog ever. Very picky with food, just had a small bout of pancreatitis (he’s fine now) and both of them are on a low fat kibble. Archie is a lot cheekier and totally such a puppy. Leo was a much more serious pup from the beginning. They really don’t require too much exercise, I live in a very small house. I have always had small dogs, terrier mixes usually and I have to say I really enjoy the Bichon breed (my two also seem to have a bit of poodle). I do think they are a great first dog, but be prepared to do a brushing most every day (they don’t shed so their hair easily matts) and be ready to have him/her bathed once a week and groomed and cut at least every six weeks.

Good luck on finding you bestest dog ever!

@blessed4 Instead of a Pug, I'd like to suggest a Boston Terrier. Sometimes you can find a breeder that produces a longer snout and they have fewer health problems. I've had a lot of dogs and Bostons are by far my favorite companion dogs.

@blessed4 Have you considered a lhasa apso? I had one as my first childhood/family dog and he was wonderful. I have 2 that visit at work often and they are so sweet and very quiet. When we had ours my family found him very easy to train. They do require regular grooming, but overall he was wonderful.

@blessed4 A poodle, Maltese, or Bichon would all be good for you. Note that some individuals are higher energy than others, and puppies and young dogs are much higher energy in general. My older toy poodle did fantastic when I was living in a tiny little studio apartment. My 1 year old Maltese x poodle mix, meanwhile, was rehomed by his previous owner in part because he didn’t do well in an apartment and needed more room to run around (and I now live in a house with a yard). Have a plan for using up all that puppy energy and you should be ok with any of those breeds.