What are some of the lazier dog breeds suitable for people who work 8+ hours a day?

@davidanderson1985 Although senior pups often need to go outside to pee much more often so unless you can train them to use a pee pad, fake grass pad, etc leaving them for alone for many hours isn’t good for them. I have been adopting elderly dogs for over a decade.

@chris07ss Agreed. Mine was 6 when I adopted him. He is now 11.5. Best mellow boy ever. Had to do literally ZERO training. And we are his third home!!! I’ve never understood how anyone could give him up. He is a pure love very handsome lab-shep mix!

@fby Can recommend! Our adopted senior baby is now 8 years old and has been so relaxed and laidback. Quiet, non-kissy, prone to naps, completely housebroken, and very well behaved with other dogs and kids. Her favorite thing in the world is snuggles!

@fby Yes!!! I adopted a 10 year old poodle a few years ago and now have a puppy that is a “chill” breed. Senior dogs are so easy and chill. Puppies are so much work- join the puppy sub and you will read the challenges.

@fby Idk, my family has a dog that got into her senior years a little before I finished college and moved out, and that dog got 10x more difficult and time-consuming to take care of in the last few years. She used to be able to be left alone all day while people were at work, now if she’s alone for 3 hours, there’s accidents in the house. She ate the same food for 12 years, now that she’s old, she’ll just refuse to eat for days unless my parents add something home cooked to it. Health problems are popping up where none were before. And on and on.

It’s making me worried about getting my own dog, because I think I could take care of the dog she used to be, but I wouldn’t have the time or ability to take care of the dog she’s become.

@fby If you’re able to! I tried and was never chosen. Shelters can be really particular about who they’ll adopt to (when I applied I was a well-compensated individual who worked from home more often than not and had a fenced in yard so 🤷🏻‍♀️)

@alexsonofmatthew%E2%80%A0 Greyhound! They're built for speed rather than endurance so tend to have a crazy five minutes and then sleep the rest of the day. When we used to go in to the office we got a dog walker in the middle of the day but that's all they needed, then they'd get their afternoon rest. Of course some individuals are more active, and some do get separation anxiety so worth checking this but generally they're a really good option. All you need is a sofa 😁

Back