Bad Dog Owner? Or Overprotective Dad?

glove

Had a weird incident this weekend, maybe it was a non-issue, but I’m still thinking about it a day later.

Went to a BBQ, brought our dog, “Gordo”. Gordo could be better trained, but is friendly. He is motivated by affection and food, not always in that order, and is really excited about both. There were other dogs there and numerous kids. Everyone there has dogs even if their own dogs weren’t present at the BBQ. These are “dog people.”

I took my eyes off Gordo for a bit - he’d been getting along with everyone, the trouble he could get into seemed pretty limited - and was enjoying my meal when I heard a commotion. I look over and see an acquaintance, “Harry”, literally on top of Gordo. Like, he has Gordo in a headlock and his body is perpendicular across my 45lb dog’s shoulders/back. Also “Cooper”, Harry’s 5 year old child, is shrieking.

My blood pressure goes through the roof and I run over, assuming the worst - as unlikely as it seems given Gordo’s sweet nature, he must have bitten Harry’s child. That’s the only thing I can think of that would elicit this kind of response.

Harry quickly jumps off my dog as I’m coming over. I worriedly ask “what happened, is everything ok?”

Harry is casual and says “oh no big deal, Gordo grabbed some food off Cooper’s plate. I gave him a little bump on the nose.”

As I’m processing this, my wife comes over. She saw even less of the incident than I did, did not see Harry on top of Gordo, but when she hears Harry’s explanation and “bump on the nose” she quickly says “that’s fine.”

I look down at Gordo, who has already forgotten about the whole thing and is already buzzing around looking for his next adventure. He seems over it, my wife is over it, and I don’t feel like starting A Thing. I kind of nod, I kneel down to Cooper’s eye level and apologize to him for Gordo grabbing his food. Cooper just stares at me cause he’s 5; Harry interjects and says ‘all good, we have dogs too’ etc.

About 30 minutes later, Harry’s 3 year old daughter, “Melanie”, dropped a cookie on the floor, and Gordo got to it before anyone else. Harry suggests I leash Gordo. I don’t feel like arguing, Gordo is 0-2 at this point, so I oblige until Harry and his family leave.

And that’s pretty much it. Feels like a non-issue. But it’s been bothering me as I keep turning the whole thing over in my head:
  • Gordo should NOT have grabbed food of a kid’s plate. Full stop. I’m not going to try to defend that. But… the reprimand for that should be verbal, right? Like, “Gordo, NO!” or something. What was Harry trying to accomplish by leaping on my dog and hitting him? Was he going to wrestle the food out of Gordo’s mouth and then fed it to his child?
  • Re: the cookie on the flood thing, I’m equally flummoxed… Gordo didn’t have anything to do with Melanie dropping the cookie. She did that all on her own. And now it’s on the floor… Gordo shouldn’t have eaten it (it had some chocolate chips in it) but… was Harry going to allow his kid to eat a floor cookie? Like, the cookie’s gone, man. Once it hit the floor, it was either going in Gordo’s mouth, or some other dog’s mouth, or into the trash. There were plenty of other cookies there for your child that had not been on the floor.
Obviously I’m biased here so could use a gut check on this. In my book Gordo grabbing food off the kid’s plate was not great but ultimately not that big a deal until Harry literally tackled my dog. That to me feels like a completely out-of-proportion escalation. I’m also not someone who is really down with hitting animals. I didn’t SEE Harry strike my dog, just his own admission that he gave Gordo a “bump on the nose” and since Gordo walked it off I didn’t want to blow it up. But I’d be lying if I said the whole series of events didn’t bother me. If my dog HAD nipped Cooper, even by accident, I could understand Harry’s reaction, I would do the same myself, but Gordo seeing an opportunity for an easy snack and taking it doesn’t meet the standard for a violent response to me.

It is highly unlikely I’ll say/do anything, especially the more time passes. I feel like the only real outcome to this is the next time Harry and his kids are around and Gordo is present I’ll have to be extra attentive. As much as I love and trust my dog, I think it’s always good practice to be aware of what they’re doing when kids are involved, especially strange kids, and clearly I failed on that front yesterday, even if I feel like the punishment didn’t fit the crime.

@glove I wouldn’t be comfortable with someone physically disciplining my dog for trying to steal a bit of food. She’d get a sharp no.

I wouldn’t bring it up now but I would’ve mentioned it at the time. I think tackling a non aggressive dog is a quick way to get an aggressive dog tbh.

Actually maybe I would bring it up.

@somberry Yea part of me definitely feels like I dropped the ball by not saying something immediately. Like, in my head I was like “you… hit my dog?” It was tough in the moment because initially I thought my dog had bit this dude’s kid. So I’m veering from terrified/apologetic to confused/pissed off to trying to be on the same page as my wife, who was so quick to dismiss the incident…

I know I certainly couldn’t imagine physically disciplining my dog or anyone else’s for stealing food. It kind of makes me wonder what the hell is going on in that guy’s house.

@glove I’d be exactly the same as you, my dog is a bit of a chancer with food so she’s likely try something similar.

And I’m also wondering wtf goes on in that guys house.

@glove I would be absolutely fuming if I saw someone pinning my dog to the ground. Cooper learned absolutely nothing from that interaction besides Harry isn't as nice anymore. I think you made a good call not saying something in front of everyone but maybe have a side conversation with Harry about how you saw him pinning your dog down and to not physically discipline cooper again, instead tell you so you can watch for the behaviour and manage it. If I was at the BBQ, I would never trust Harry around my dog after seeing that

@glove I would not let my dog off leash with Harry or his kids around. Any innocent thing your dog does could set him off. Harry's "discipline" is dangerous and may teach your dog to fear him or his kids. I would cut contact with that family as much as possible. Make sure your other friends know that Harry believes in physical punishment for dogs so they also can be aware for their dogs sake.

@glove Listen, I think that’s overkill on his part, but not worth bringing up. I disagree that it’s abusive. Probably just worth it to understand that Harry is overprotective in regards to dogs - not everyone is a dog person the way we are dog people and that’s ok. The best way to make sure your experience with your dog and your friends is enjoyable is to go over-the-top to minimize negative outcomes, so sounds like Gordo needs to be on the leash or stay home if there is going to be food around.

My dog is reactive with food. She has never ever ever bitten, but if food gets near her, she thinks it’s hers, and will snarl at any other dogs around. I bring her everywhere and leash her or put her somewhere else while we’re eating or the food is being eaten.

Don’t get me wrong, Harry is a weirdo, but some people think I’m a weirdo for not letting my nieces whine when they’re at my house - life is complicated and relationships and individual needs are complex and the best thing we can do is hold our expectations with a open hand and take as much responsibility as we can for ourselves.

@glove Harry was dead wrong for putting Gordo in a headlock. He definitely overreacted to the situation. In the future, I would avoid Harry and his family, they may be "dog people" but not all "dog people" treat their dogs the same.

@glove I would be absolutely furious if someone physically disciplined my dog. Harry's reaction is way overstepping.

I think you were right not to make A Thing out of it, but it's definitely worth discussing boundaries with Harry, starting with "please do not hit my dog".

@glove I think you’re correct in your assessment that Gordo could be better trained, but I also think Harry overstepped in a big way. I have a policy of not handling other peoples dogs unless I’m familiar with the dogs and owners, or it’s an emergency. If I saw a friend’s dog snatch food off a kid’s plate I’d tell the dog no, get the food away from it if it’s dangerous to eat (corn cobs, chocolate, etc), and then say something to the owner.

Gordo eating the cookie off the floor is a non-issue to me. I usually let my dog eat dropped food if it’s safe, because it’s easier than grabbing a broom and dustpan.

@niaa All of this. I’m embarrassed Gordo snatched the kid’s food but jumping on/smacking him seems wild. What if, after being jumped on, Gordo had bitten Harry? In self defense? What then?

And yea, food on the floor, unless it’s a corn cob or a pound of chocolate fudge, is fair game…

@glove I agree. Any dog, even a sweet and friendly one, can bite under the right circumstances. Being towered over, grabbed, and hit by an unfamiliar person would have been the right circumstances for a different dog. Harry’s lucky Gordo was chill about it.

@glove If someone did that to my dog I’d be furious. It’s abusive and wrong to put a dog in a headlock or hit them. The most I’ve done to my dog (when he tried to bite my bird’s tail feathers or step on her for fun) is shake is scruff, tell him no, and put him outside. If it were anything that wasn’t as serious as my bird’s health and safety, I’d never even do that to him. So, yes, Harry is in the wrong

@glove That’s a no go for touching gordo. They should have just told you what was up instead of disciplining the dog themselves. We don’t discipline other people children right? That’d be a big no for someone to whoop your child, so dogs are no different

Back