I’ve become a bad dog owner. They have become uncontrollable

@canuckgramz Are they no pull harnesses like EZ walk that will cancel out some of their pulling? It changes their forward motion to sideways and takes some of the force off you.

Have you tried connecting the leashes to your belt? Maybe just connect D1 there and the other one use this:

One trick is to use your body instead of your hands/arms. Run the leash around your side or even around your back so it's your body and legs against them so youll have the advantage. You'll still be holding the end of the leash but your body will be taking most of the force.

I have 2 dogs, 36 lb Border Collie and 52 lb Husky who can be very stubborn and lunges at prey and dogs and doesn't want to leave an area. The BC lunges and snaps at the Husky when they see dogs so I'm familiar with problematic dogs. Also he has anxiety issues so he pulls alot due to that.

@canuckgramz First, talk to a trainer, best a certified trainer who uses positive reinforcement.
Second, are they from the same litter? If so you may have littermate syndrome to take into account when looking for a trainer. Not all trainers will know how to go about training plans for littermate syndrome pups nor know what the signs are to make that behavioral diagnosis.
Lastly, it’s normal for a dog to not listen well outside of the home until you have proofed and generalize cues. Listening in the home is easy, but going out into such an interesting, stressful, exciting environment outside of the home, well that takes steps that a trainer can walk you through.
I really think it’s best you hire someone to see first hand how the dogs behave and ask all the relevant questions to give you and your dogs the most personalized training. Tips are great and all, but there only so much the internet can do with the info you can provide via Reddit. Trust me, I’m a CPDT, this is what I do for a living. Help people help their dogs.

@canuckgramz What kinda equipment do they walk in? Maybe a front clip harness could help some? My dog hated to pull when front clipped.

And I'd try walk them separately until they learn, cause I bet they just rile each other up together. The technique I was taught, was to simply stop, and wait however long it takes for the dog to look at me for a bit. Then I'd praise and keep going. And then stop again if pull. (And if that didn't work, I'd turn walk the other way.)

And ofc loads of praise if he walked without pulling.

Some trainer also said don't train them to not pull, train them to walk loose leash. And while the trainer failed to specify what he meant (cause he's trying to make money), the concept makes sense. Praise and reward doing the right thing. And don't go a step if they pull.

I have no idea how much work it will take, or if my approach even works on dogs that already pull to such an extent, but suppose we're all throwing in our 2 cents worth here.

I'd definitely seek out a trainer if able.

ETA: My dog exclusively do sniffy walks (with the odd heel once in a while for practice and safety). He can walk as fast or slow as he likes, sniff whatever he likes, as long as he doesn't pull. He's 18 months now, and only in the last few weeks has he managed to do entire walks without any pulling. It's taken a lot of time. But I've figured he's a puppy/adolescent, so it's to be expected.

@canuckgramz So you need to get control of the more out of control one and walk them separately. I would recommend a prong collar every time they pull pop the leash when they are good give treats.

@canuckgramz I have two littermates that were terrible at two years old and I felt as you do: frustrated, embarrassed, and feeling like I had nothing more to give. But I knew I needed to gain control. So I insituted a NO MORE PULLING rule. That meant they do not pull me and I do not pull them. I had failed with gentle leaders in the past (bloody face on one dog) but I gave it another try. First, I stopped walking my dogs. Every time a dog repeats an unwanted behavior, they are reinforcing the unwanted behavior. I had to stop. I started training them with the gentle leader while sitting on the couch feeding treats for about 10 days. Then we “walked” in my fairly small house. One dog at a time. This took another few days. We progressed to walking just outside the door for two minutes at a time so they had no chance to pull and then extended the time after about a week. I was able to do the shortie front yard walks many times a day. Finally, it was time to train them not to be so reactive to external stimuli which is why they were lunging on their leash. We went to the trailhead parking lot where I took one dog at a time out of the car and let them calmly look at people and dogs at a distance where they could stay calm. Then we went closer. If they pulled or lunged, I told them “No, that’s not it” and put them back in the car for a couple of minutes. Rinse and repeat. Eventually I was able to train them not to pull or lunge but it took over two months. Once retrained, I was finally able to take both dogs out on a trail where we would be a foot from a herd of cows or dogs or squirrels. I went from having crazy dogs that pulled me down on the ground multiple times, knocked me out, broke my glasses, and so much more to pretty good walkers. I traded the gentle leader for a leash called The Sidekick Leash by Heather’s Heroes because it was more comfortable for my dogs. They do not like face harnesses but they like walkies so they put up with it. I wish you luck. People who have not been through this have no idea how demoralizing and defeating it can be.