What’s it really like being a dog groomer? The good and the bad

@sheiriam I was referring to you saying you won't make 60k, not that I made more than you. You said we don't get paid like that, and I was pointing out that you can get paid like that. Wasn't intending to sound condescending.

@sheiriam I make over that, yes. 30-40k a year isn't the average around here. Maybe it's regional, but to say that she's automatically going to make 20k less just isn't necessarily accurate.

@sheiriam Thanks for the heads up! Can I ask what your work week looks like and if you get 50% commission?

Training where I’m at is $15/hour. and working up to with 50% commission, my thought was I’d definitely make $15 on top of that (equaling around 60k with at least a 40 hour work week).

@daleviewrd No you make either 15 an hour or 50% commission. Not both, just whatever is higher. I make 60% commission and I'm just surviving.

It depends on the cost of living where you are located. Yeah some spots are 100$ grooms but that's like LA and higher col areas. Most small dogs average about 50-60 dollars. Most groomers average about 4-6 dogs a day. You'll need to do about 10 a day to make 60k a year and you'll be dead with no soul if you do that.

You also will have to buy and maintain tools which are not cheap either.