1.5 years old now, and he’s been a terror lately. thought it was supposed to get better around now?

brittbrat

We’ve had our boy since 8 weeks old. I love him to pieces but he is just the tasmanian devil lately.
I don’t mind the high energy, we play (fetch non stop he’s an addict and I wish we wouldn’t have allowed this fetch obsession), we do our own little training sessions at home, he gets kongs, lickmats, walks etc.
I make up mental stimulation games.

The main problem is how DEMANDING he is. There is NO chill.
I want to be able to relax in my own home again but he needs nonstop constant attention or he screams. The barking is the worst. Like a toddler, throws a fit until he gets his way.

This is causing a lot of issues in my 7 year relationship (boyfriend gets pissed because dog won’t listen).

We have an appointment to have him neutered in a couple of months and I’m hoping that tames some of his alpha and aggressive behaviors. I don’t expect a chill lazy bones dog after being fixed but if it could drop his testosterone to where he realizes he is not the boss i’d be so grateful.

He’s also reactive due to several incidents where the neighbors dog broke into our fenced in yard and attacked him so he’s hard to take anywhere and socialize now (but we do take him on walks and hikes and avoid other people and dogs).

TDLR:
when does it get better? our 1.5 year old pup is just so demanding, loud and won’t take no for answer.

@brittbrat Gotta train it out of him. When they act like that, it’s to seek attention (obviously) . What I did was I started walking away, go do something else for a minute. That way he/she learns that that is the outcome of the behavior, and it isn’t what they want . It takes a while, but it worked for me. As you know, ACDs are really smart, your pup will catch on.

@brittbrat There’s no such thing as the alpha or the dog thinking they’re the boss. This was a holdover from a study on wolves which the author called one of his greatest mistakes and deeply flawed. No scientists take this theory seriously anymore. He hasn’t been trained to settle and he hasn’t been trained in impulse control on this individual behavior. He’s not trying to dominate you, he just knows that barking = get what I want. It’s no different than him thinking “oh I sit = get a treat”. You need to work on introducing a calm settle and the crate as a relaxing space.

@brittbrat Basically he cannot do anything without my permission, He sits and stays before he gets to eat, He moves out of my way and I never move out of his, He sits and waits for me to go out the door first then I give him permission to come out after, he sleeps in his own bed, he is not allowed on the couch, If he pulls on his lead we stop walking, If he refuses to give up the ball then playtime is over, if he chases the cats then he is in timeout. There are so many examples I could give you. But also at the same time he is my baby and knows it, I give him tons of love, playtime, and treats only when well deserved. There has to be a balance. He needs to respect you and your rules. If you don't have structure and rules he will walk all over you and your bf. It was hard to break my Omi at first because he came from a home where he did whatever he wanted to but with time he submitted and now he does everything I need him to without me asking. Life is better for both of us now.

@imagebeastmarkbeast i am really digging all of this input and advice, you’re hitting the nail on the head. Sounds like my guy needs some more discipline (not physical) but structured discipline so he can learn some manners. Thank you so much

@brittbrat Hey OP! What kind of training are you doing when you two train (what kind of things do you work on? Positive reinforcement? Etc).

As far as “when”. Behaviors need to be worked on and time is going to very, but for their energy level; mine hit 2 and March and although she’s still very active, I have noticed she’s less go-go-go until she drops, and has been better at conserving her energy.

@brittbrat hey! you can totally train your dog to be calm and it sounds like what he needs - look up relax on a mat, and other ways to actively teach an off switch - it’s important for pups to be able to settle down as much as play!