What are the top 5 skills should you teach a dog?

@wford91 Not the commenter, but I would use a high-value toy or treat exclusively for this training, so the dog only has access while learning. I’d also very gradually sneak it slightly put of sight or give her hints as to where it is. Slow and steady, frequent short sessions to prevent frustration and fatigue.

@ramijj8
  1. Leash manners (walking at your heel, turning when you turn, sitting when you get to a road before crossing, no pulling.) I've listed this as #1 because it sets your relationship up, with you leading the way and your dog following. It also teaches impulse control.
  2. Good recall. Think about your dog running towards another dog, onto a road etc. How will you get them back if they accidentally get out?
  3. Stay. Don't follow me out the door, wait before you jump out of the car, wait until I'm done putting your food out etc
  4. Sit, stand, shake while you handle them. For vet visits, grooming, nail clippings etc
  5. Drop it / leave it. Have something in your mouth? Is that a chip wrappper? Drop it now