What are your "top 3" tips?

@authormargaretrosefrancis I would actually say that what you're doing in a city environment is more like constant management! Constant unavoidable triggers is exactly the type of environment where every walk is more like management than it is behavior modification training, and precisely where you would use magnet hand, stepping behind a car or delivery truck, crossing the street, doing paws up on a tree, a quick uturn, etc. Which is totally okay and part of the process.

@authormargaretrosefrancis That is hard - you may want to look into the FDSA “management for reactive dogs” course, as a lot of what she teaches is techniques that would be great for city dogs. The Toby Project on Instagram also has several reels where she demonstrates how she uses the techniques from that course in the city.

@childman In my opinion, management is a HUGE part in owning a reactive dog (it even plays a significant role in owning non reactive dogs)
After all, it’s all about setting your dog up for success- always.
And reactive behavior isn’t always something that can be completely “fixed”
We improved a lot of reactive behavior with our dog and some things she was desensitized either completely to or a lot throughout but some things not so much.
Spotting other dogs on walks for example was always a big trigger for her. We improved the distance- so we could be a bit closer than before but then we stagnated.
So, of course we managed by doing uturns, find it and so on when we couldn’t keep enough distance to keep her below treshold.

@childman Yes for everything but adding to number 3 for me. When you have an established relationship and trust/education in the methodology they utilize listen to them when they are wanting to introduce more stressors or take some away. Sometimes educators/trainers/behaviorist can see that our dogs are capable of having more stressors and not negatively impacting them, if anything helping them become more neutral. But as owners we may get really anxious ourselves in assuming it can cause setbacks or flare ups in their behavior. Often we can stall at certain steps and just be content staying there because we fear adding any more challenges to the level our dogs are at.

For a while I was very content with certain behaviors my reactive dog was at. If he wasn’t reacting to a dog 20 feet away, and able to be calm in fairly busy areas I was cool. I didn’t want to pressure him to be any more successful than that. But trainers I’ve been with for a while now were like no you are good to try this and this and this. Like one trainer asked me why my dog wasn’t already in CGC prep and I was confused because I didn’t think he even qualified for that (it felt like a pipe dream do to how not neutral he was around people and dogs at the beginning) , and she was like no he has amazing impulse control and has been regulating himself really well and should just go, he will be fine. Same with being interpreted around other dogs in a structured way (walks, sports). She was like he still gets fairly excitable but he should be under threshold if you want introduce pack walks (walking together but no dog on dog engagement) or more stimulating environments. I was so against it because I thought it would set him back, I went and he did phenomenally after a little bit of management (leash pressure games and some pattern games). To the point he was walking three feet behind another dog without any reaction for a good thirty minutes of the walk.

I’m so glad I listened to her because on my own I would have been too anxious to try, thinking of how much could go wrong. Purely because I can’t evaluate my dog on a objective level because I’m always thinking of him at his most reactive.

@breatheme Know your dog! It took me awhile to figure it out, but my girl gets overwhelmed after 20-30 minutes of being outside of our house/yard. If she sees triggers past that time it’s gonna be a mess.

So our walks are shorter now! Been making huge strides in her reactions to the world at large.

@breatheme 1) Walks and hikes aren’t the only way to enjoy time with your dog. And you aren’t a bad person for not walking your dog. Take the pressure off from training and meeting physical energy needs and just have fun together. Find an activity you and your dog both love that doesn’t include the hard stuff. Gather up all the toys and let your dog play goalie, read a book in the backyard while they chew on a messy bone, take a scenic drive with 5 minute pit stops to stretch your legs and smell new smells, play hide and seek or nose work. As I enjoy my dog more those reactive moments wear on me less.

2) Practice your training when there’s nothing around. Emergency U turns, scatter feeding, magnet hands, look at that (we use mailboxes or cars instead of dogs for the non scary practice). Our training tools can become associated with their triggers, plus it’s hard to learn during those reactivity moments.

3) Never underestimate the power of narrating the moment. “Yes, I see that dog too, don’t worry I won’t let them get too close. I know your nervous, we’ll go way off to the side to make you feel safe. Oh no, they’re getting too close? Let’s go this way, you can do it!” So many people don’t get it, and they may never get it, but given the opportunity to hear what I’m doing and why there’s a chance!

@glennheath Great advice! Totally agree that the narration can help the people/bystanders in the situation. My pup doesn't like loud, excited children, so if we pass them I always say something like "OK now you be polite to that kid because they are going to be sure to leave you alone and give you lots of space!" It helps a lot, especially with parents who see every dog on the street as a potential petting zoo for their child. 🙄

@breatheme Kids are a tough one! My dog is extremely scared of children and will react with big scary barks if they get too close. I find that if I channel my inner crossing guard and put my hand up as a stop signal most kids respond better than a verbal ask for space. It’s kind of amazing when they stop dead in their tracks and then I can tell them she’s easily scared and in “school” right now to practice seeing kids from a safe distance. We were fortunate to have some children practice this routine with us and now she knows if kids are approaching mom will put up a stop sign and feed her all the cookies while talking to the small humans. We’ve gone from having parents and kids calling her a bad dog for barking to helping others learn that not all dogs want to say hi and that’s okay.

@glennheath I do a very similar thing! The narration goes along with the hand signal. Sadly we don't have any kids who regularly do this routine with us, but our dog has made a ton of progress. A year ago a kid across the street would have upset her, now we can be within 10 feet or so (this is huge for us haha).

Also I'm so happy for you and your pup!! That sounds awesome 🏆

@breatheme
  1. Take breaks. Seriously!
  2. Find shared activities you and your dog enjoy doing together, even if they aren't the activities you thought you'd be doing originally. It will do you wonders for your mental health.
  3. as @childman mentioned, management is nothing to sneer at. Well executed management is a total game changer. (As an addendum to this just because I wish more people knew - obedience skills for reactive dogs in trigger circumstances are management, not bmod. And thats okay!)

@breatheme
  1. Remember: your dog isnt giving you a hard time, hes having a hard time. I can get so frustrated sometimes with my dog and it helps to remember that hes having a hard time with the situation too.
  2. Learn as much as you can about canine body language, canine behavior, and YOUR dog’s body language. Learn what your dog is saying before they have to yell.
  3. Trust your gut. If it sounds too good to be true, if a trainer is promising results in a certain time period, if it just feels “off” - trust that feeling and make yours and your dog’s wellness priority. Don’t worry about offending someone or seeming crazy.

@deaconbling Number one is golden. Sooo many people become frustrated with their reactive dog which is definitely fair (owning a reactive dog is tiring), but recognizing that the dog is truly the one having a hard time makes me as an owner, much much more understanding - especially in those moments when he's reacting.

I see sooo many people yelling and jerking their dogs for reacting, and it breaks my heart. I wish more people understood your first tip.

@deaconbling Great advice! Number 2 really resonated with me; once you learn about dog body language it's hard not to un-see it, if that makes sense. Honestly it's ruined a lot of "cute" viral videos for me because all I can see is how stressed the animal is!

@breatheme These are all good, thinking of some additional ones: (1) Only measure your dogs success by how far they have come, never compare to others. (2) Understand that what 'other dogs' enjoy have nothing to do with what your reactive dog finds fun and comforting. (3) If they are in a multiple dog home, remember to NOT treat them the same. If you have one dog that you can take out, do so. Then find other ways to spend quality time with the reactive one. Good stuff here!

Back