Vets should offer a dog acclimatization program for fearful dogs

@katty3333i If you call your vet and ask to schedule a “happy visit” most will oblige :) I’ve done this will all my dogs to help them avoid “white coat syndrome” and it helps IMMENSELY!

@toxxi I cant believe the people replying who said their vets do it for free!

My vet does it for a price... but, it's either 30-60 minutes long. Tbh, I'm not sure how long the 30 minute one is, but I've only been charged about $15 for our hour long happy visits. We've been doing them regularly since july of last year. Recently, the tech said they're going to increase their prices to a dollar per minute ($60 for me)... which is a bit of a strain in my weekly fund but I'll still be there when they finally up the price... also, it's to kinda help weed out the ones who arent doing their "homework"... so like even at home, I'll go through the process of setting up his place (if he gets off the mat, he doesn't wanna be touched. When he gets on, I praise and resume the activity). I'll pinch and squeeze him as if giving him a shot. I even bought a cheap stethoscope to get him used to seeing it, and having it pressed against his body, a part of it laying over his back, etc. That way, when he's with the tech, he's been doing this every day with me, he just doesn't really care.

He loves his vet tech, watchful with the vet but after a few minutes, he's loving on the vet too. We've managed to do full on wellness visits, vaccines and blood draws during our happy visits.

@toxxi Vet exams are usually about 50$ for an hour appointment. This would probably take up about 10-15 minutes and not require the doctors presence so I’d say 5-7$ for a visit is a fair price

@busryde Although if you bumped it up to $20-30 some people might still do it. I’ve paid for enough pointless visits because my dog is too freaked out for an actual exam that something like this could have worked out cheaper.

Or extend the time on a regular visit for a little extra.

@confusedfl22 That price point would help a bit, but honestly most places just do not have the time. Most vet clinics right now are packing appointments in to the gills - often working through breaks and lunches. They simply don't have the space.

That being said, the clinic where I work, which is specialty rather than general practice admittedly, has absolutely done visits like this for some of our clients, at no charge.

@busryde It wouldn't even need to be an exam room with a doctor just let them come in give some cookies and head out. Plenty of clinics do it so it's clearly not impossible

@howard1960 Context is part of the cue, so practicing inside an exam room would be most beneficial.

And as I said, my own clinic does it at times with no charge. :)

@busryde Of course it would be most beneficial. But even keeping them from anticipating in the waiting room would help. Honestly most clinics aren't open on weekends, I fully think offering it on a Sunday with scheduled appointments would probably pad their bottom line if the receptionist or a tech just checked people in, guided them to a room and charged them 20-30 bucks for 15 minutes of chill time.

@busryde My vet is the one used by the shelter. If a dog gets hit and they call the shelter, they call him.
He wants dogs that are easy to handle.
No free visits, but cheap ones.

The lobby is free though. I took my dog with me to buy flea meds and take a pocket full of treats. I asked people with out pets with them to greet him and toss a treat to him. The receptionist was happy to as well.

@katty3333i Not worth it for the vet then. There's alot of other costs associated with even getting you in the door and scheduled. Then they only make $7.

@katty3333i Yaaa. In my area I wouldn’t do it for less than $35. Which is what a follow up appointment, that is a 15 minute appointment, cost. Full 30 minute appointment is $70. Especially with the staff shortage.

@katty3333i Yes! My vet is a canine-only office, and they specifically request this for every new client. When possible, they’d like the dog to visit first, meet everyone, get treats, and enjoy the place stress-free. My dog has always loved going there for this very reason.

@katty3333i I have always encouraged owners to bring patients into the office Just For Treats & Pets regularly, free of charge, to keep the pet from experiencing anxiety & fear when it’s time for their checkup.

It will make all the difference in the world in case they ever need to stay in the hospital one day!
  • Veterinarian.